Traction How much HP needed for a 19' disk

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #1  

Natural Gypsum

I've got an old Ford offset disk that I need to repair and put to use. It's a 19-foot width and 24" disks front & rear. How much horsepower am I gonna need to pull it fast in a gypsum pit for breaking up the gyp?

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #2  
A 19' offset will typically pull harder than a 19' conventional disc. Without a bit of background on Gypsum, it's strictly a WAG on how much power that would take relative to "dirt".

At any rate, a 19' offset working "average" soils would probably want 150+ hp. (Where as a conventional 19'er would take 110 to 125hp in dirt around here where I live)

Are you looking at new? or a good USED tractor. There are some outstanding bargains to be had on used 4wd AG tractors. again, just a guess on my part, but I'd think you're gonna want something closer to 175hp.... No harm in having too much grunt, but it would be a shame to spend the money and find you're underpowered.

19' offset is a heck of a load...

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #3  
I've got an old Ford offset disk that I need to repair and put to use. It's a 19-foot width and 24" disks front & rear. How much horsepower am I gonna need to pull it fast in a gypsum pit for breaking up the gyp?

A bunch. One of my neighbors uses a 15-ft offset disc on his hayfields. Pulls it with a Steiger Super Wildcat that's powered by a Cat 3160 diesel (around 200-225 hp).

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #4  
Isnt the rule of thump, 10hp per foot?on the offset when really set in!!!

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #5  
I just looked at a chart that I have and it shows a 19'8" offset disk with 22" blades requiring 200-220 draw bar horse power to pull it. Your 19' with 24" disks if it is offset is going to take more power than that. I would guess more like 250hp.

Good luck

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #6  
I have a 22ft on 24 blades and struggle with 210hp Steiger bearcat (Cat 3208), tend to use it on 300hp versatile to get it done properly

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #7  
What the weight of the disc is will also help tell us how much horsepower it will take to to pull it!

When the disc is able to penetrate well it will take a larger tractor to pull it and duals will be a must!

How much are the blades worn at this point? I would think that if the disc could possibly need 150 horsepower and a four wheel drive.

/ How much HP needed for a 19' disk #8  
I had a 16' offset with 20" disc, by the second pass in the field the disc got deeper and it took all of the 140-150 hp my Case had to pull it. Had hydraulic lift wheels which got me out of trouble more than once.