Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!!

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #11  
You don't just jerk it all at once.

Awww, where's the fun in doing things like that? I was kinda thinking of hooking up the Super M, put 'er in 2nd and pop the clutch. :laughing:

Actually, you've made a good demonstration of finesse and brute force working effectively together. Thanks for the inspiration!

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #12  
Looks fun. I have a feeling if I tried that. I'd be pulling that whole wall out along with it.

Because I would have just yanked it hard because it wouldn't budge.

Then after the wall falls down. I realized that I missed about 15 nails. :laughing:

"Scratches head" Aw man, that's why the thing didn't budge. "Throws hat down". "Starts cussing".

Chad

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!!
Looks fun. I have a feeling if I tried that. I'd be pulling that whole wall out along with it.

Because I would have just yanked it hard because it wouldn't budge.

Then after the wall falls down. I realized that I missed about 15 nails. :laughing:

"Scratches head" Aw man, that's why the thing didn't budge. "Throws hat down". "Starts cussing".

Chad

Chad, Funny!! Actually, you aren't going to likely get every last one in a bay window, especially if the installer put them in goofy places 30 years ago. But you are right. Gotta get most of them. Two or three, here or there aren't going to matter much.

Once you gently stress the chain, the "free" portions of framing slip easily. If something isn't moving, that gives you an indication of where you need to work a bit more.

My strategy involved moving the bottom first. That weighed an easy 150 lbs, I figure. That wasn't really anchored much, so I knew it would "move". That is where the tractor was flat out, the right "tool".

The top, as you saw, was blind nailed and screwed. No way to get to them. It didn't budge. Once the bottom was free, I just broke the upright styles, to be honest.

That top portion had to weigh 200 lbs. That was a trip!!! It was anchored by long 3" drywall screws. No way that was going to just pull out. Had I just jerked away at full speed, it might have brought the header with it, perhaps. More likely the style uprights would have just snapped and that would have blown my opportunity to use them to pull the bottom portion out.

The pictures are fun, and posted for a bit of a laugh, but it was a serious job, actually. It wasn't quite as redneck a job as it appears, (not there's anything wrong with being a redneck) :D

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #14  
thumbs up! :thumbsup:

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #15  
I see your place is on the main line ... nice!
Is your tractor steam or diesel-electric?

I just installed the "3 TRACKS" signage below the crossbuck. The thing was getting kinda heavy so I left it off and then reinstalled it afterwards by hand. I was told that this crossing light was from the NY Central intersection at Hudson NY. You can go there in Google Streetview and let your imagination run. There is a CSX 8834 train at the crossing in a photo. And the 3 tracks...

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #16  
BP, I build bay windows, and as such, can attest to their weight. Are you putting in a new bay or changing to a regular, flat window?

Joe

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #17  
Nice job. From the looks of the grass you're getting pretty dry in MI like we are in OH...

Nice lookin tractor too.

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!!
BP, I build bay windows, and as such, can attest to their weight. Are you putting in a new bay or changing to a regular, flat window?

Joe

Undecided. Almost leaning toward a french door look and wrap around deck affair? If we cheap out? double, double hung?

Nice job. From the looks of the grass you're getting pretty dry in MI like we are in OH...

Nice lookin tractor too.

We've only had one meaningful rain event since late April. Ridiculous. My gardens have only had that one meaningful, natural precipitation all growing season. Didn't even get natural rain to sprout. Some relief tonight?

/ Use The Tractor, That's Why You Have It!!! #20  
Got this 5-600 lb bay window to remove. All by myself. Hmmmmm... get the tractor, that's why you have it, right? Done. :D:D

Told my wife she should have used the video setting.

I might need you to talk to my wife. Every time I suggest using the tracter ofr something like this, I get "the look" and have to move on.