Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Tractor
    99 JD4200 4WD Collarshift

Default Re: One stuck Boomer!!!

A come-a-long is a good idea. But I think you have a good excuse for buying a winch.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Here is a couple idea's...
    Call a wrecker. The $50 or so would be small for getting your tractor out
    Or, get a come-along. For $25-35, you would have something you could use again.
    Get a Hi-Lift jack. For the $50, you could use it to winch, after you use it to jack/lift the tires a bit and block them up.
    The drawbar is partially exposed. Get some planks under there, and a jack(you may need to dig it out a little to make room for the jack). Jack it up, and put blocks or planks under the tires. Repeat until it is high enough to easily get you out. Add those extra blocks; it would be bad to get it up just a little, go 2", and be just as stuck again.

I've put full size 3/4 ton 4x4's to the frame in the mud. Dig, dig some more, and jack/block it up.

Tractor

In my area, a tractor stuck a ways off the road like this looks. A wrecker charges between 150 to 200 dollars. I know this from neighbors who drive on their newly purchased lots when it's too wet to get out.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC35D4

Robert, I woould love to have another tractor come in and help out, but a tow truck would have to have a '500 cable to help out. Don't know if you can see that from the pics or not.
    thanks
    gary

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    TC35D w/ SS

Hi.. I'm new to this site.. but I have 575 hrs on my TC35D w/ SS.. 17LA FEL.. rubber filled front.. liquid filled back.. w/ double rear wheel weights (Ag tires). I get stuck all the time.. and w/ the 2-3 feet of snow we received in Thurmont, MD last week.. in 3 days of digging out.. I got stuck at least twice. My trick is to use the FEL to help crawl the tractor out.. extend the FEL at the level position and lower the bucket until you are almost picking the front wheels off the ground.. lock in 4wd.. power up to 25 hundred rpm's.. step on the differential lock. Now use the dumping hydraulics to pull & lift while lightly pushing the forward hydro pedal. It takes some coordination & timing.. but I can climb up & out a creek bank using this method. Unless you're pushing mud w/ your grill.. you should be able to crawl your way out.. if you can't go uphill.. try pushing yourself backwards w/ the FEL. Check out http://home.earthlink.net/~kensfarm/index.html to see pictures.

Tractor

Very nice. Yep, I was down in a wet hole and got out. The hole wqas from where I had to dig about 2 feet down to loosen the roots of tree I was pushing over. Finally finished pushing and wound up at bottom of hole. Lots of mud. I worked it back and fourth with fel, wheels, etc, using some right and left steering as well. Finally pulled myself out. But the fel just kind of sloshes the mud around if you can't get something hard under it. I had to reach up and pull some harder (less muddy) dirt down. Took about 30 minutes.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

I agree with RobertN. A high lift jack will get you out. Put some planks under the draw bar, jack it up, put logs, rocks, or whatever you have under the tires and let the jack down. Repeat this until you have the rear tires up out of the hole. Use the FEL or jack to do the same with the front tires. Then, fill the trenches with logs, rocks or whatever. You'll have much better luck getting unstuck going downhill. Once it's out find another route up the hill. If you can't get it out that way, use the high lift jack as a come along. It's slow, but it will pull pretty hard. I got a full size Blazer unstuck that way and it was buried right up to the frame.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

I've used that method to push myself backwards, but never forwards. Hmm. Could you chain to the tree and to the lowered bucket, then raise the bucket all the way up, pulling you forward while you drive forward. Set the bucket down to slack the chain, re-tighten and repeat. Might take a while, but might get you there a foot at a time.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi.. I'm new to this site.. )</font>

Oh, I almost forgot, Welcome to TBN! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 HST

One other thing that is true of the tractors from years ago (at least those that I've used, 8n/9n, JD B, etc) is that they do not have a low gearing as some of the CUTs today. This matters when you're chaining something to the rear wheels.

I did this with a Ford 1700 a couple times in the woods. With that thing, at 1000RPM, in R-1 or 1-1, the wheels turned so slowly that you could monitor the whole process easily (without riding the clutch).

That said, I wouldn't recommend it because one of the times that I did it, I bent the rim/wheel center piece (dish?). The Ford dealer heated it hot, put it underneath the bucket of a BIG wheel loader, and then beat it with a 15lb sledge to straighten it. Never was perfect after that [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Chris

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast