One stuck Boomer!!!

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #1  

gmason

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC35D4
I've done it again /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I've buried my TC35 Boomer. Last week I was moving a few pieces of firewood from the backside of the house and as I started up the hill the wheels just fell through the surface of the ground and sunk. I had gone over this area once earlier and it seemed solid enough. But twice...NOPE! I had to leave it there through an ice storm and another recent rain.

Yesterday, I tried to dig some of it out and channel the water away. I have access to a few large trees to chain the loader to and use the bucket to help pull me out.

I will have to shore-up the wheels since it's sunk to the axle now.

Here's my plan. first to use the loader to lift the front wheels off the ground and put some planks under them. Then I need to get the rears up higher. I'm probably going to have back up a bit to get something under them.

I'll attach a few pictures tonight so that ya'll can see my dilemma.
thanks
gary

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #2  
Gary,

Please do post some pictures. One of the other guys here in an earlier post said to chain a 4 x 4 block to your back wheel or wheels. Watch out for the tire core though, if you can get a chain through. Sounded like a good idea to me. All in all though it could be safety issue. If you only blocking one tire you may have to use your other brake to prevent that wheel from spinning. Lucky you have a loader, that will help you tremendously

Good Luck
Murph

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #3  
Gary, No access to a winch or come-a-long ?? With trees to grab to, a winch would be a piece of cake. A steady pull is better than trying to 'wheel' it out.

For my money, before I'd go and chain a board to my wheel and subject the tractor to some unusual stresses, I'd call in a tow truck and pay the $75. Sure beats dealing with some hefty damage and 'wasting' a bunch of time.

Just my thought.

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #4  
Gary,

I do like tc35forme's idea better if you can. I only added to what you were doing from another post. If raising the front wheels and then putting a bridge under them and the blocking idea is you only way out then it must be. As I said it would kind of be a safety issue. I only added to your post based on a post I read a while back. The block idea has to be a last resort. I don't think I would ever really do it myself.

ps: I hope I didn't steer anyone wrong.
Murph

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #5  
Many farmers have been killed tying timbers to the tires. My dad did it on the farm years ago but I'd never try it.

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #6  
I've always wondered about this. Is there any documentation showing "farmers have been killed"? Or has anyone direct experience? This method has been mentioned many times but I don't recall anyone actually talking about fatalities. I'd be worried about getting hit in back of head. But I guess danger is really in flipping?

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #7  
Years ago the farm tractors did not have ROPS and sometimes not even fenders. Chaining a timber to the wheels sometimes would mean that it would come around the back and hit the operator, making it uncomfortable, to say the least. Now with the ROPS, the timber would be stopped before hitting the operator, but may ding up some paint and lights and other pretty things. Not fun. Tipping the tractor over backwards is another problem, but unless one knows just what they are doing and what the reactions will be, I wouldn't recommend chaining a timber to the wheels. My last experience with a tractor mired in the Iowa spring mud was when I was 14 years old (50 years ago!) , and there were no trees around. The planks chained to the rear wheels and moving very carefully did the trick. Once the rear wheels were up, then laying a plank "road" to get away from the mud was the "way" to get out.

/ One stuck Boomer!!! #8  
Please everyone, don't do what I mentioned above. I got to believe it is a serious safety issue and I would not want anyone to say, "Well Murph said we could do it". I really think any safety director would just chew us out good if heard of that option.

That was an option listed in another post someplace and I kind of thought, good idea, but the more I think of it, the more I don't like it.

Murph

/ One stuck Boomer!!!
here's first pic

Attachments

• 239044-far.JPG
    239044-far.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,020
   / One stuck Boomer!!!
another looking up the hill to the chain tree

Attachments

• 239045-chaintree.jpg
    239045-chaintree.jpg