How bad is shale?

/ How bad is shale? #31  
Thanks for the hug Brandi, I think that's a first for me here on TBN..:laughing:

Your welcome Jake98.:) However, it is a generic term I use.:laughing: Your doing good when you get double hugs.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ How bad is shale? #32  
Jake98,:)
Digging never gets monotonous.:p Hauling away the spoils is what is monotonous.;)
hugs, Brandi

That's the truth, I have been digging and hauling for several days and it is a half mile from where I dig to where I dump it to fill in washouts. I had one spot I was digging and had to back down a slope, get a bucket full and then back up and out onto the county road across to another portion of our farm. That sure gets boring.

/ How bad is shale? #33  
That's the truth, I have been digging and hauling for several days and it is a half mile from where I dig to where I dump it to fill in washouts. I had one spot I was digging and had to back down a slope, get a bucket full and then back up and out onto the county road across to another portion of our farm. That sure gets boring.

You need a dump truck or a skid steer attach dumper bucket.
hugs, Brandi

/ How bad is shale? #34  
You need a dump truck or a skid steer attach dumper bucket.
hugs, Brandi

I have a dump truck, it just won't fit where I need to go and neither will our M8540 which has a pretty good size bucket. As it is a full bucket on my L5030 going up and down hills and into washouts is often almost more excitement than I can handle.

/ How bad is shale? #35  
   / How bad is shale?
Got Shale?

I didn't get the trench finished (I know, I know, I started from the wrong end..) yesterday's and today's rain filled it up and it's too slick to do anything now. So I'm going to try this approach, push the shale in it and spread it to grade, then re-dig for the pipe at the edge, at some future time. I over-killed the trench size (about 3x3) so it ought to be easy. This stuff has some dirt to it, so I may heed Curly Dave's advice.

Attachments

• shale1.jpg
    shale1.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 120
  • shale2.jpg
    shale2.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 114
  • shale3.jpg
    shale3.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 126
   / How bad is shale? #38  
bye bye rubber tires:(

I have refused to use that around my barn because of the risk to rubber tires. Ruin one rear tractor tire and "free" becomes "expensive". Ruin a second tire and "expensive" becomes "I am stupid". The guy trying to sell me shale replied to my question of "how is it on tires" with this remark, "I have had to replace one atv tire, one truck tire and one tractor tire but when you see a piece of shale sticking up you just hop off and step it down so it don't cut a tire". For what he was charging for the shale and since I didn't have any steel tracked toys to spread it I choose to pass and not risk my tires.

If you do put this shale anywhere you plan to drive then top it with a good gravel that will protect your tires. If you can spread it without driving on it then that is great but just watch your tires.

/ How bad is shale?
As it is a full bucket on my L5030 going up and down hills and into washouts is often almost more excitement than I can handle.

It would no doubt be more exciting with one of those things on it.. :laughing:

/ How bad is shale?
bye bye rubber tires:(

I suppose I could rent a track machine. That would probably do a good job of flattening it down and packing it.. but I always have to learn the hard way. :eek: