Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

Default How bad is shale?

I can get some tandem loads for free and I was thinking it'll be good to throw at the muddy spots and raise a section of my driveway up about a foot. Looks like the bigger pieces are about 2x2x8..
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: How bad is shale?

Shale makes very good base fill.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Tractor

I can't picture it being gradeable with my little box-blade, but who knows? I have a spring that flows around my shop and keeps it muddy 10 months of the year, so I guess I'll dig out a couple feet and fill it. Maybe I'll finally have that 'drive around' I was planing on.. (instead of just a 'mow-around'..) Time to chase the bees out of the old JD and charge it up!
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Agreed, it makes a good fill base, but is a bear to move with a small tractor.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor

I'm worrying about what shows up, I looked at the piles where they're digging out my friend's site, and it looked like it was 90% small pieces, but if half the load turns out to be 2' chunks, I'd be better off passing on it. I'm gonna talk with the excavator tomorrow, see what he thinks is in the pile.

Samuel Adams

New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

Put the shale down, then cover with a load of gravel.
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by jake98 View Post
    I can get some tandem loads for free and I was thinking it'll be good to throw at the muddy spots and raise a section of my driveway up about a foot. Looks like the bigger pieces are about 2x2x8..
    Pictures of the 'shale' you are talking about would help a lot, it's called different things in different areas of the country.

When you said 2' pieces.....it made me think of what we call 'slate' down here in southwest Pennsyltucky, and it will break up easily when running over it, or with a hoe or bucket.

The 'slate' we have here will be ok for a couple years on a driveway, but it continues to break into smaller and smaller pieces til it becomes like soil.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

First thing....I'm not normally a big fan of Wikipedia, but in this instance, they did have a fairly good piece on shale.

Shale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The shale we have in this immediate area is "rotted" to the point where it's reasonable easy to grade, makes decent fill, and isn't terribly hard on tires.

While I was with the general contractor I spent 40+ years working for, we would routinely use it as base under parking lots, along with a host of other uses. Depending on where it was quarried, sometimes it was like a pile of razor blades and VERY rough on rubber tires.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Farmwithjunk View Post
    First thing....I'm not normally a big fan of Wikipedia, but in this instance, they did have a fairly good piece on shale.

Shale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The shale we have in this immediate area is "rotted" to the point where it's reasonable easy to grade, makes decent fill, and isn't terribly hard on tires.

While I was with the general contractor I spent 40+ years working for, we would routinely use it as base under parking lots, along with a host of other uses. Depending on where it was quarried, sometimes it was like a pile of razor blades and VERY rough on rubber tires.
    Some of the 'shale' (some call it slate here) we have here is the same. Just depends on where ya get it.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Shale in this area 'responds' well to medium sized dozer traffic while grading, and will make a great driveway or roadway surface if one likes a somewhat rustic look. But grading and pounding it into submission with a small CUT isn't going to be easy.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast