3-Point Hitch Am I missing something?

/ Am I missing something? #1  

Stevec314

Tractor
IH384
Hey all first time poster. I have a IH 384 and I am wondering if I have all of the parts on the hitch. I have the 2 bottom bars that hook to the implement. Adjustable bars that go from those two bars to the tractor lift arms and finally the top link adjustable bar. I noticed that I have two adjustable chains that go from just under the wheel axle to the adjustable lift arm and pins through that holding it to the bottom arms. The reason Im asking is I do not see a stabilizer bar and I am having a terrible time plowing with a single plow. It plows great if the ground has been turned before but other than that its rough going. I need a way to keep these implements straight where they won't move around. What do you think?:)

/ Am I missing something? #2  
Welcome to TBN. Pictures are always encouraged. It might help in this situation to help you diagnose and correct the problem.

Are the chains between the wheels and lift arms loose? If so this will allow a lot of sway.

There are some members here who are very knowledgable about setting up a plow. There is an art to it.

/ Am I missing something? #3  
The chains that go from the axle to the lift arms are sway chains. With the plow attached tighten the turn buckels untill there is no slack in the chains. Tighten them equally to keep the implement centered.
Bill

/ Am I missing something? #4  
The chains that go from the axle to the lift arms are sway chains. With the plow attached tighten the turn buckels untill there is no slack in the chains. Tighten them equally to keep the implement centered.
Bill

WRONG!!!!

You DO NOT use stabilizer bars/chains with a plow. If you do, the plow will steer the tractor....

Plows trail correctly by adjusting the pressure against the landslide. That's done by rotating the offset drawbar to skew the rear of the plow left or right (as needed)

/ Am I missing something? #5  
I 100% agree.. no sway bars or chains on a plow.

mower? SURE

soundguy

/ Am I missing something? #6  
Between Farmwithjunk and Soundguy you'll get the right advice on how to set up a plow. I'd suggest trying some of the advice Farmwithjunk gave and then post back with more questions.

One thing about the sway chains. Though I trust Farmwithjunk's advice, I think you should still have the chains, but adjust them loosely so as to prevent the 3 pt. hitch from swaying so far the implement bumps the tires.

/ Am I missing something? #7  
Between Farmwithjunk and Soundguy you'll get the right advice on how to set up a plow. I'd suggest trying some of the advice Farmwithjunk gave and then post back with more questions.

One thing about the sway chains. Though I trust Farmwithjunk's advice, I think you should still have the chains, but adjust them loosely so as to prevent the 3 pt. hitch from swaying so far the implement bumps the tires.

No one suggested removing the sway chains. At least not me.... But a plow needs to be able to drift side to side and NOT be tied solid with chains or stabilizer bars. Otherwise, the plow will be in control of the steering of the tractor. (Rather than front wheels/operator)

Some tractors will have sway chains that limit draft arms from hitting tires, and SEPARATE stabilizer bars/chains. Others utilize the sway chains (in an adjustable form) as stabilizers. It's helpful to differentiate which type in a discussion like this... Regardless of type, a plow needs to have freedom to move side to side, independent of the tractor. In a case where sway chain serve the dual function of sway chains AND stabilizers, they need to be adjusted to the point where the draft arms are just barely clearing the tires. With tractors employing sway chains and separate stabilizer bars/chains, the stabilizer bars stay in the barn when the plow is attached to the tractor. THERE is where the confusion might have arisen.

Also, keep in mind we're talking exclusively about 3-point mounted plows. With a semi-mounted plow or a trailer type, none of the above applies.....

Making a plow trail correctly is STRICTLY a function of proper adjustment of the plow. Anything other than that and you'll have a fight on your hands in regards to controlling direction of the tractor AND plow. With a plow mounted rigid to the tractor, even the slightest correction in direction will become exaggerated and hard to control.

The track width of the tractor needs to be set correctly. With MOST compacts, that turns into a series of compromise's, due to what is normally a much more narrow track width and the common use of wider tires than was "customary" with tractors built "in the day" when plowing was a primary consideration in tractor design. (R4's can be a real killer....) Adjust tractor to fit the plow rather than plow to fit the tractor..... THEN the plow adjustments come along to make the plows line of draft follow centered behind the tractor....It's really simple, but can be somewhat of a "black art"....Get everything set accordingly, and the plow will trail almost effortlessly.

Last edited:
   / Am I missing something? #8  
yep.. a ford has built in sway chains that keep the arms out of the tires when hooked to an implement.. ( many others do as well. )

as FWJ mentioned.. some people use solid sway bars.. or an adjustable screw type sway bar, and others use a turn buckle and chain system as a swap setup. those 3 mentioned are not suitable for a plow as it needs to drift in the back, not be held rigidly between the tires in a line / row

a mower ont he other hand, you don't want clunking side to side.

soundguy

/ Am I missing something? #9  
No one suggested removing the sway chains. At least not me....

Agreed. Sorry if I made it sound like I thought you had. My intent was to make clear the need to keep the plow out of the tires. You put it much better in your followup. Thanks!

/ Am I missing something? #10  
WRONG!!!!

You DO NOT use stabilizer bars/chains with a plow. If you do, the plow will steer the tractor....

Plows trail correctly by adjusting the pressure against the landslide. That's done by rotating the offset drawbar to skew the rear of the plow left or right (as needed)

I stand corrected, A plow is one attachment I do not have. I shouldn't have assumed you adjusted for it as you do other attachments.
Bill