International 464 pto breaking shafts

/ International 464 pto breaking shafts #1  

Mkcurtiss

Tractor
Kubota 2350 d
I just got a real nice International 464 with Syncro Shuttle trans...real nice. I was going to cut a little grass. Hooked up my JD272 groooming mower, engaged the independent pto, and pow, it snapped the shaft in two. Went back, got a woods finish mower, and it sheared off the shaft connecting bolt. Both cutters in perfect working order. Tractor was not revved up. Is there a way to soften the engagement of the pto?

/ International 464 pto breaking shafts #2  
About all you can do is start at a low RPM...lower then what you're running now, apparently.
If the tractor starts to stall, give it a bit more fuel with the foot throttle.

Now, I'm not familar with your International. Since it's snapping shafts, I'm guessing you cannot feather the clutch when you engage the PTO. If I'm wrong, and you can feather the clutch...definitely do that.

Your International has about 45 PTO HP. That should be quite adequate for your mowers, but not excessive.

/ International 464 pto breaking shafts #3  
I've got a 464, too. The engagement of the PTO is hydraulically controlled. Is it snapping the shafts just by moving the lever? There's a clutch pack in the driveline that is engaged by the hydraulic lever, and drives the PTO shaft. If you're breaking shafts just by engaging the lever at idle, there's definitely something wrong. (Which you already knew.)

How quickly are you putting the lever into drive?

/ International 464 pto breaking shafts
Thanks guys for the info.....This evening I will give it another shot, and follow the procedure I have gotten,....low rpm, feather engagement control, etc....Honestly, I think I had it at about 1000, 1200 rpm, and just engaged the pto.....I have a John Deere 5310 with independent pto, and you just push the lever forward and the mower starts and that is all there is to it......This is the first time I have had a machine breaking things while engaging the pto....My Massey 240 has live pto and it never causes any problem, but I understand it is a much easier engagement just by virtue of the fact that it is engaged by the 2 stage clutch.....Nevertheless, it is nearly the same hp tractor......

I have another question about the same International 464....The tractor has 4 levers located right by each other in the right console....the lift, draft control right beside the lift control lever, then on top the Independent pto lever,.....then right beside the pto lever there is another lever, but I do not know what it does? Can you guys help me out here? I have to rebuild the master cylinder as the left brake is not working...no big deal about that.....I am going to try to include a photo of the tractor...it is a beauty.....Thanks so much for your info.
Mike 7-29-2011 034.jpg

/ International 464 pto breaking shafts #5  
If it's where I think you mean, it runs the rear remote valve.

Even at 1000 rpm I don't think it would break the driveshafts; maybe I'm wrong. It still seems very harsh to me in order to snap things like that. Definitely try slowly feathering it into position if you're going to do it, and have the mower up off the ground when you start.

/ International 464 pto breaking shafts #6  
I have another question about the same International 464....The tractor has 4 levers located right by each other in the right console....the lift, draft control right beside the lift control lever, then on top the Independent pto lever,.....then right beside the pto lever there is another lever, but I do not know what it does? Can you guys help me out here? I have to rebuild the master cylinder as the left brake is not working...no big deal about that.....I am going to try to include a photo of the tractor...it is a beauty.....Thanks so much for your info.
MikeView attachment 222952

We have a 454 IH which from your pics appears very similar. I know which lever you are referring to, it has a little knob on the top and is similar in size to the PTO engagement lever. I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what it does, but it is related to the 3pt hitch. It's either a rate of drop valve or a raise response lever.