Draft Control? When? How? Why?

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
I have a draft control on my tractor, but I have to say I don't really understand when, how, or why it can be used. I have read the manual and it gives a breif explanation, but I still don't really understand its use. The best I can tell is that it really is not used unless plowing. Any help? And, if it is not being used, what position should the lever be in?

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #2  
You are quite right, in that the only time you will use it is when you are plowing. Do you plow? Do you pull any ground-engaging attachments similar to a plow? The draft usually works (some electronic ones on later tractors of larger than CUT size I believe) when a compressive force is applied to the top arm (such as when plowing and the plow sucks into the ground) causing the 3pt to lift slightly to bring the plow up a bit and create less compressive force on the top arm. This "controls" the draft of the plow.
Set the lever for "no draft" if that is explained in the manual. If not, and you are not putting a compressive force on the top arm with any of your attachments, it may not matter where it is set.
This isn't a complete explanation on draft control, but maybe will help you understand how it fits into your uses of your tractor.

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #3  
I found that along with a hydraulic top link, draft control is very useful while using a box blade. It makes it a lot easier to grade an area, without having to constantly adjust the hieght and front to back tilt of the blade. It allows the tractor to slightly raise the blade if it digs in to much, or hits a large rock. I found it will give you much smoother results.

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #4  
For plowing there is no substitute for draft control. You just aim the machine where you wish to plow, drop the impliment and let the machine control the load it can pull.
For a very good discription of the operation, go to www.tractorsmart.com. Click to enter. Click technical info. Click three point lift types and look for draft control.
Gil

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #5  
Anyone have any idea why a draft control setup would prohibit a "top and tilt" combo? I thought that I saw something to this effect for a couple of manufacturers, but right now I only find it listed in JD's specs. For JD the two options are mutually exclusive, you pick one or the other (or none).

Tim

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone have any idea why a draft control setup would prohibit a "top and tilt" combo? I thought that I saw something to this effect for a couple of manufacturers, but right now I only find it listed in JD's specs. For JD the two options are mutually exclusive, you pick one or the other (or none).

Tim )</font>

I don't know why draft control would prohibit top and tilt. On my IH2500B the draft control raises and lowers the lift arms automatically according to the movement of the rockshaft in relation to the draft control sensitivity setting. As long as you keep the top link(or cylinder for top and tilt) from changing length, draft control should work just fine?

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why?
Ok...sorry, I still don't get it. I use my box scraper alot. I am putting in trails through my woods. I use my box scraper to smooth , cut, dig, etc. I use the adjustment of the right rear arm to tilt the box on side hills to cut deeper on the top side. (wish they made one that was automatic) I also use the FEL to take out say a big rise just before getting to a big dip in terain, then smooth it out with box scraper.

So,no I do not plow with a plow, but do alot with box scraper. So...does the draft control put down force on the arms to apply top force on the implement? In other words, is it like putting weight, or block on top of the implement to keep down force on it? The more draft you apply, the more force? Sorry to be so thick headed but I have played around with the thing and don't seem to get diff results. As much box work as I am doing and will keep doing, if this thing is a great help, it would be worth while to learn how to use it. Any more explanation? And, if the lever is forward, top pointing toward front of tractor, does that mean the draft is off?

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why?
Oh, and one more thing...how do you apply the draft control? Apply it with lift up, down, etc.?

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #9  
<font color="blue"> Anyone have any idea why a draft control setup would prohibit a "top and tilt" combo? </font>

I have both draft control and a top and tilt on my tractor. I can't see any reason why you couldn't have both.

BTW, where abouts in SouthWest Pa are you ? I live about 20 miles west of Waynesburgh, down here in Greene County.

/ Draft Control? When? How? Why? #10  
<font color="blue"> So...does the draft control put down force on the arms to apply top force on the implement? </font>

No, draft control will not put more down force on the implement, but it will let you set a more aggressive angle on the box blade, without having to worry about it digging in to deep and stopping you.

The way draft control works is it senses when the implement tilts foward due to it hitting more resistance in the soil. If you hit heavier soil, or the blade starts to dig in too deep, it will raise the implement slightly and then allow it to lower again once the resistance is passed.

The posistion of implement (up or down) does not matter when setting draft control. I set mine so it just prevents the box blade from digging in to deep and causing the tractor to stop due to lack of traction.