Removing Shrubs Hedges

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #1  

Fusefinder

Tractor
2011 BX2360 W/FEL
I just recently purchased my first CUT a Kubota 2360 W/FEL. My plan is to remove shrubs hedges in front yard right along a fence line. They are about hip high. I would like to keep the fence intact but, wont be upset if the fence comes out with them. There is a lot of Poison Ivy in there and I am seriously allergic ( hoping for a little to no physical contact solution). I have about 200' of hedges to clear. What would be my best options. I am open to all suggestions. Planning on a fall or spring project.
Thanks

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #2  
   / Removing Shrubs Hedges #3  
If they aren't really close to the fence, you might be able to just root them out with your FEL. Push on them about 6" above the ground level with your FEL cutting edge and see if you can get the roots up a bit on that side. Then back up, put your bucket at ground level and push on the uptilted roots, they might come out roots and all. I've had good luck with that method this time of year when the ground is dry and the wood is not as flexible as it is in Spring.

Then what? I would say pile them up and burn them, but you will have the poison ivy mixed in and burning poison ivy is dangerous. The smoke can get into your lungs, very bad, and will carry the stuff to your skin.

Dave.

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges
They are right up on the fence. I may have to remove the fence to take them out anyway. I have cut through the fence many times over the years trimming the hedges.
The burning Poison Ivy lesson was one I learned the hard way twenty years ago...breathed it in and broke out over 100% of my body...I also suspect that it why I have such a serious reaction now.
Thanks for the input

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #5  
A couple of tools I have for the tractor are the quick spade and the brush grubber. The quick spade chains onto the bucked and is like having a big shovel on the front. It is heavy built, weighing about 85#. The combo version will work on a bucket or forks. You can maybe get it under the roots and pop them out. You will need plenty of weight on the rear of the tractor.

Paumco Products Quick Spade Combo — Model# 1101-Quick Spade | Skid-Steers + Attachments | Northern Tool + Equipment

The brush grubbers are pretty good. Best used with 2 people to avoid a lot of getting on and off the tractor. But it will put you in contact with the ivy. They do have bucket mounted versions, but I have not tried one of them.

Brush Grubber, Model# BG-01 | Weed + Brush Removal | Northern Tool + Equipment

I have a ratchet rake, but haven't had a chance to use it much. I think it is best suited to removing viny type brush. Would probably be helpful getting the ivy out of there.

Could rent a small backhoe or track hoe.

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #6  
I have a pair of bucket hooks. A chain choked around the base of the shrub and curl back the bucket....pops right out. I've popped out 7-8 foot pines and cedars that way. You get the whole rootball, which makes it very nice and clean. Only takes a minute to set up, so a hedgerow shouldnt be a big deal.

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #7  
Thinking of nspec's chain approach. I wonder if you had 2 or 3 choker chains, or cables, if you could attach them to your draw bar together on one clevis, then one chain or cable to each bush. Get them set and drive forward. You might be able to get two or three at a time, I assume they are fairly close together. You would be pulling away from the fence too.
Dave.

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #8  
I just recently purchased my first CUT a Kubota 2360 W/FEL. My plan is to remove shrubs hedges in front yard right along a fence line. They are about hip high. I would like to keep the fence intact but, wont be upset if the fence comes out with them. There is a lot of Poison Ivy in there and I am seriously allergic ( hoping for a little to no physical contact solution). I have about 200' of hedges to clear. What would be my best options. I am open to all suggestions. Planning on a fall or spring project.
Thanks

They sell poison ivy killer at the farm supply story. If I was that allergic I would hose the area down with killer and then come back in a month or so and take care of the rest of the stuff.

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #9  
The best implement for the job is a back hoe. If possible buy 1, rent one or find a friend that has one. If you have never run a hoe, get some practice or hire hoe & operator.

#2 Use your FEL and back drag. Get the front of the bucket vertical with the fence, lock brakes and curl bucket towards the tractor. If it still pulls the tractor into the fence, take a smaller bite. Once pulled away from the fence, you can just run down the fence, if needed to get the roots out dig in a little at a time.

Before digging out the brush, dig a hole large enough to bury the poison ivy and everything else.

Free Advice and worth every cent. :thumbsup:

/ Removing Shrubs Hedges #10  
Kill the fence row, and come back and use something like a four-in-one bucket, like a clam shell to just clamp and pull out, and never touch the brush. Dig hole and bury. Treat the ground after digging again for any residuals.

http://www.(Temporarily blocked due...v/vspfiles/assets/images/small 4-in-1open.jpg

Might be able to rent them.