HST's Rep as an expensive repair

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
HST\'s Rep as an expensive repair

You know the discussion gear vs. hydro (maybe someday it will be over...) A gear guy makes the obvious point that someday each will break, and, hey he can fix his gear tranny, but the hydro will mean a HUGE shop bill.

In some recent discussion, RaT made the statement that his local deale (?) said that they had NEVER done a hydro repair. Maybe they are major items IF they break - but do they? Are there any great Hydro Horror stories?

Sorry, RaT if I mischarictarized your post...

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #2  
Re: HST\'s Rep as an expensive repair

I bought a B9200 over a year ago. It was supposed to be a low hour unit that looked a bit beat up. The low hours were true, on the current clock. After I'd bought it and the seller moved out of state, I learned that the low hour clock on the tractor was the third replacement clock.

The tractor ran fine on the flat test area. Put ANY load on it and it wouldn't move. Dealer thought a clutch was needed, so about $800.00 went into a clutch. While he had it he split it and looked at the hydro tranny. The wear plates were shot and I needed a new tranny for about $3500.00 and there were not any in the US at the time. Needless to say, that ran the price of the tractor way up there for an old tractor that would likely need more work later. That was a very depressing time, spend a bunch of money on the tractor only to need to spend way more to get it running. Couldn't sell it like it was, couldn't afford to fix it when weighing the cost against the value and dependability of the tractor. The only feasible way out for me was to trade it into the dealer toward a new one, which I did.

If it had been the hydro pump that was bad it would have been another expensive repair, but not as bad as the hydro tranny.

Did I change from a hydro to a gear drive? No way! The hydro is the way to go for the work I do. Bought another Kubota (B2710) with a hydro and would do the same again.

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #3  

John Deere had some issues with the hydros in the older 4000 series tractors. If I'm not mistaken, they added another filter and changed the maintenance schedule. I don't know of anyone that didn't get it repaired under warranty. I heard some say JD replaced their hydro even after the warranty was up.

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #4  

Here is my take on it:

In both types, the engine makes the power. In both types, a gearbox puts the power to the wheels.

It seems to me that the the hydro system is analogous to the clutch - each makes the connection between power and drivetrain.

Therefore, when making cost comparisons, maybe the comparison should be:
Gearbox to gearbox
Hydraulic system to clutch

Of course, now that I have typed this, I have a moment of enlightenment and realize that my HST tractor (class III Boomer) is the only one I know of WITHOUT a clutch.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As Emily Litella would say, "Nevermind...." /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #5  

The JD 4000 series HSTs don't have a clutch either. The manual tractors have two gearboxes, one for the main transmission one for the range selector. On JDs and large NHs the HST essentially replaces the clutch and the main transmission. Of course the Kubotas and smaller NHs still have a clutch, so on those units the HST just replaces the main transmission.

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #6  

Rockyridge, great post, great idea. I too would like to know if the durability is reflected in the masses of TBN. As mentioned in my post, my local NH/Kubota dealer has not had an issue with Kubotas hydrostatic. I want to clarify that this does not mean he has had problems with the NH hydrostatics, that topic was just not discussed so I don't know what his experience has been with those. The JD 4000's did have hydrostatic issues, an abundance that perhaps brought out the JD 4X10 series with a different hydro. Whether a hydro has a clutch or not is really not the issue. The clutch on my L48 is used to engage the PTO or assist in moving the range lever into position. Other then that, don't expect to ever have to replace the clutch and it's assembly, its disengaged so infrequently and not when under load that it just will not be wearing out.

The one thing I have found out about hydro that is certainly a benefit besides its operational ease is the smoothness and diminshed pounding on the tractor. You pretty much can't jerk the tractor around with it, especially with loader work. While hydro is super nice, there are without a doubt, plenty of times a manual or a manual shuttle is a bonus over hydro, not many, but they are there. Rat...

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair

I was going to edit the original post, but there is a time limit on that...

i don't mean to start a gear vs hydro debate. Both have their place, both sell well.

I WOULD like to start a discussion about whether or not HST's are an expensive option to keep going - in the real world.

And just because a brand has had problems isn't all bad. That's what service is for. When JD HST owners chime in that there was a problem, but deere took care of them, that's a good thing.

Turfman - sorry about your bad experience, but thanks for sharing it - we can learn from it too.

A HST is like anything else. There are folks who can destroy one. And change hour meters, too.

But you went with an HST to replace it, I'll bet yours gets proper maintainence and lasts a whole lot longer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RaT, thanks for the kind remarks - I really was sparked by your earlier post.

I tried to edit the original post to emphasize that I am not trying to start a gear vs hydro debate.

Maybe we'll hear about some other issues. I am interested also in the early reports from the new hst's from Kioti, Long, etc. Are they having teething pains?

/ HST's Rep as an expensive repair #10  

I asked my dealer if the HST units ever break. He laughed and said I would be a very old man before I needed to worry about that. He has been selling tractors for a long time and is a long time Kubota dealer. Anything is possible. Also, on the small Kubota HST, the clutch does disengage the PTOs and the transmission but other than engaging the PTO and going between Lo and Hi I am not sure why it needs a clutch. The BX does not have a clutch. I like having the clutch myself. J