3pt "quick hitch" questions...

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
3pt \"quick hitch\" questions...

Hi Folks:

Just curious. Here's a link to the "quick hitch" sold by Northern Tool: Click here to see it

Does this require the attachments to be modified? I've heard that 3pt "quick hitch" deals do require the attachments to be modified, but it doesn't appear to me that this one does. Can anyone comment? Does anyone have one of these on their CUT?

Thx!
Dave

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #2  
Re: 3pt \"quick hitch\" questions...

I know there is at least one other thread on this very topic, so I'll keep it short. It's relatively safe to say that "most" "newer" implements will work on a quick hitch. I just purchased a Deere iMatch and 3 Frontier pieces on Sat. The dealer I bought from had a Deere ballast box on hand that he had on hand for a while and it would not fit the iMatch. He told me he has new Deere ballst boxes on order that fit the iMatch.
As I understand it, the date of manufacture and the specifications of construction have a lot to do with whether or not attachements will fit well.
By the way, mine works great. Of course it's all new!
Heath

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #3  

It depends on the manufacturer of the attachments. Some make them to Cat. 1 standards and some do not.

Jerry

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #4  

From the picture, I would say that the Northern Tool quick hitch is the same as the SpeeCo and Tractor Supply quick hitches. Probably just a different paint job on the same hitch.

As mentioned above, not all implement manufacturers follow/followed the Cat 1 standard, so some implements have to be modified or you have to use the adapter that TSC and SpeeCo provide with their hitch. I have the TSC version, and with the top adapter, it fits all of my implements (an assortment of ages and manufacturers). If I wasn't "welding challenged" I would probably modify my implements so they would all work with the standard top hook, but...I get by just fine with the adapter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It is still the best investment in an accessory that I have made.

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does this require the attachments to be modified? Dave)</font>

I have a thread going on a similar quick hitch, Quick Hitch at TSC. It might even be the same one. What I found out is that many implements do need to be modified to fit it. The main problem is that lower hitch pins are various distances apart. Plus, they need bushings over the 7/8" hitch pins. The distance from the horizontal line between the lower hitch pins and the top pin also varies, so some implements might need modification there also. Another problem with the top pin is that sometimes there isn't room under it for the hook to get under.

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #6  

The information that I got on the TSC and Northern Tool and Speedco are all made by Speedco.

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The information that I got on the TSC and Northern Tool and Speedco are all made by Speedco. )</font>

Don't buy the one at Northern then! It's much cheaper at TSC ($170 vs $200), and there's no shipping which would add a lot I'm sure.

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #8  

Some do, some don't. In my case both implements have 29" minimum spacing at the pins (Rhino SE6 brushhog and Pyramid landscape box). I think this hitch has a maximum spacing of 26" (maybe 27" max) which is CAT I. I went to TSC and measured it so I'm pretty confident in the measurement. I thought I could turn my pins to the inside but the pins are mounted on angle iron and not flat bar so the back of the angle will not let the hitch engage the pins. Basically, I'm SOL. I ended up investing in dolleys to help move the implements around. Certainly not as easy as a hitch but much easier than a pry bar. Newer implements seem to be made closer to the standard but still not all. I had one company offer to custom fab me one for $350. I figured if I bought a new implement though it probably wouldn't fit the hitch. I bought the dollies for $60 so I still consider my self way ahead....my back is feeling better too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #9  

The dollies are a good idea. I've bounced back and forth between the idea of a quick hitch and dollies.

A lot of people love their quick hitches once they get their attachments set up for it and I can see why. But, there is cost involved with getting each attachment to work with the quick hitch. Some attachments, such as my finish mower or bush hog which have the pivot on the top, will require getting off the tractor to hook up even with a quick hitch. Plus, you have the added weight of the quick hitch.

Dollies are really nice, but not much good unless you have a smooth floor. They make hooking up to a 3pt easy though. My finish mower is on 4 caster wheels and it's a breeze to hook up and move around, even though it weighs over 650lbs. Any attachment on a dolly would be the same way. The nice thing about dollies is that you can store more attachments in a small area, since they can be rolled around and packed in tight. You will have to get off the tractor to hook up and unhook though. I'm hoping to make my own for $40 or less each (that's my goal anyway).

/ 3pt "quick hitch" questions... #10  

I have speedco. As mentioned they don't fit all. I use the top adapter and get hooked on implement, then hook in top link. Only problem has been it moves implement back a couple of inches and depending on equipment it is had to get just the right angle with top link. It's your choice on modifing implement. Bad part of that is if you go to sell it. Haven't used the new telescoping draft links but they say they help in hook ups,and imp. doesn't need modifing. Does save back and aggravatoin. Can tell when neighbor is hhhoking up by hammer noise.