Gas or Diesel tractors?

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #31  
You can't beat the rattle of a diesel!

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #32  
By "right diesel", I'm USUALLY talking about a 40 year old MF 150 with a Perkins AD3-152 3-cylinder diesel.... I've started mine literally hundreds of times in temps near or below zero, WITHOUT a block heater. Bump the key and let go....It'll be running before you get your hand off the key. It just starts that easy. I use it to jump start gas tractors and trucks in extreme cold weather when they won't go.... Smaller Perkins diesels are generally all easy starting.

My 2440 and 2640 Deeres are NOT easy starters....For that matter, NONE of the Deeres I own are quick starters in the winter.

Altogether, I've got 5 tractors that are 3 years old or less. None are exceptionally easy starters.

Advantage old=simple.....

My old 1964 MF135 with a Perkins diesel that sat outside year round would always start in half a crank in zero degree temperature without glow plugs and without a block heater. My four year old Kubota that sits in a garage all winter won't even think about starting with out 20-30 seconds of glow plug warm up. Something got lost between my 1964 Massey and my 4 year old Kubota.

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #33  
Well I generally agree with what's being said, there is not a whole lot of substance to it. Diesel is 'generally' the 'better' engine. Diesel fuel is more potent, and self lubricating, and the engines are usually stout. But I think the old gassers are built somewhat like a diesel, meaning heavy duty parts. I bet they have low compression rates too, adding to longevity. I've heard of 6 liter engines making 30 hp, less than a tenth of a modern engine.

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #34  
Actually I guess we were discussing cold starts, I usually plug in when it gets real cold (mn) but never have had any problems. I usually cycle the manifold heater a few times if I'm not plugged in. Does anyone mix in kerosene? I often do that in my truck, say 20%.

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #35  
diesel is the only way to go.

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #36  
No Kero here. Either Kleenex Flo One Shot or Howes.

VW used to recommend 30% gas mix with diesel during the winter to prevent gelling. We just used conditioner.

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #37  
Diesel for me. If it's an option, Im getting it.

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #38  
Diesel will be less expensive to operate and we have never had issues cranking them...
With that said, I started out on all gas tractors like Super A & M Farmalls with WD 45's and D17 Allis Chalmers...
We still have 2 nice series 3 and series 4 D 17's sitting in the shed that run very well...
Just had a friend last year that got his 170 rebuilt...
Those old Allis gas engines were well built but really suck the fuel compared to an oil burner...

/ Gas or Diesel tractors? #39  
i like antique gas tractors, and modern diesels.

soundguy