Oil Drain Pan Tip

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I just got done changing the hydraulic fluid in my tractor (300 hour service). I used two different drain pans and one large 5 gallon plastic storage bin to drain the fluid into. I realized half way through the process that it would be a lot easier to clean up these drain pans if I lined them with a plastic garbage bag first. It was too late to try it on the 5 gallon bin but I did line the two drain pans with plastic bags and it made the clean up a snap. I use to always waste 10 or 15 paper towels getting the last of the oil/fluid out of the drain pan. Today after I poured the fluid from the pans I just tied up the garbage bag and threw it away.

This may have been covered here before or some of you may have tired this yourselves. I hadn't seen it covered so I thought I would pass it along. By the way I use those disposable latex gloves when changing fluids and they work great also.

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #2  
Hey! That's a great idea! I have to do my hydro fluid and was trying to figure out how to get all that oil into the pans in a controlled manner....now that I know this, cleanup will be a snap!

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Today after I poured the fluid from the pans I just tied up the garbage bag and threw it away. )</font>

Spence, Like where did you throw them away at???

Murph

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip
I guess I could have explained that better. I pour the used fluids back into their original containers and return them to my dealer when I go to buy more. After I had poured as much fluid as I could out of the liners into the original containers I just threw the bags away. Normally I would wipe clean my drain pans and it would take 10 or 15 paper towels to do that. Now I just throw the liner away.

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #5  
I have a permanent covered 5 gal pail I collect oil in then take it to the store and dump it in their collection tanks - no need to clean container. My drain pan gets hung up on the wall with any residual oil still in it. It has a lip and spout so when hung vertical the little bit of residual oil left after pouring into the bucket can't spill out so I don't waste time cleaning it up. Just gonna get dirty again with my next oil change!!! Saves a plastic bag AND paper towels /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #6  
Spence,

I kind of figured that, but thought I would harrass you some.

murph

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #7  
i did mine and just poured the udt and eng oil in two five gallon buckets. i then cleaned my drain buckets with mineral spirits. poured the mineral spirits into the oil/ udt. took it to the recycle center and dumped it all in the tank. man said it was ok.

i then cleaned all with mineral spirits and left mineral spirits in a bucket sealed for later disposal.
no plastic garbage bags to deal with.

Where i find bags great are changing my boats filter. wrap it in a ziplock ,untwist, and all oil goes in baggie. well a little drips but nothing bad.
mineral spirits work great as a solvent.

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #8  
I've done the garbage bag lining an open plastic pan thing for years. It does make clean up a snap, though occassionally the bags will leak a little. I've kinda gotten to where I hate using up a plastic bag with each oil change.

Just yesterday I bought an oil collection pan from Walmart. It has a handle on one end and a capped spout on the other. The top is a little concave with a resealable hole to collect the draining oil. Hopefully a rag or a couple paper towels will be all that's needed to clean the top after collecting the old oil. The pan can then be easily sealed and serve as the transport container to dump in a recycle station tank.

It holds 15qt, so is just a little too small for my hydrostat trannie oil change. I'll probably still use a plastic bag when that job comes due this summer.

OkieG

/ Oil Drain Pan Tip #9  
We change lots of oil and usually use 5 gal. buckets or cut some down for low equipment.
Then put oil back into barrels (save for B-I-L waste oil furnace) I found a good way todrain filters and get oil back into barrels w/o spilling.
I cut top 6" off 30 gal. plastic barrels w/ sawzall (use bottom part for trash can) then screw in 2"pvc threaded fitting and 6" long 1 1/2" pvc pipe (dwv pipe).
Put this upside down like a giant funnel on barrel.
Dump oil in and filters can drain out w/ no mess.
Ask around for anyone that has waste oil furnace and give them the oil, it could be local weld shop or ?? and might get some deals on work.
I have people that work w/ me that give me their oil for lack of places to get rid of and I give it to B-I-L.