Mowing BX1860 OVERHEATS (?)

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #1  

mreatwork

Tractor
KUBOTA BX1860
Good morning...purchased a new BX1860 earlier this year with a 48" MMM and FEL. It's all good (~40 hours on the clock) except the temp gauge will run to the red while using the mower, especially under full load - and almost certainly in the red if I didn't disengage the MMM to let it cool at a fast idle. I purchased a IFR temp gauge to check the actual engine temp as best I could. Even though the dash gauge is showing very hot, the temp at the base of the temp sending unit records less than 200 degrees on the IFR gauge. The radiator records ~170 or so on the IFR gauge.

No problem when using the FEL.

I mentioned the problem to the dealer. They didn't seem too concerned because "they run hot".

I've tried fabricating a muffler heat shield from 4 ply HD aluminum foil. No effect either way.

I know Kubota has replaced a few of these because they are not able to fix this "problem", although it seems those cases involved a confirmed overheating issue while mine might be a temp gauge calibration issue.

Do I have something to worry about here?

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #2  
Your IR temps look fine. I would check the gauge and sending unit.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #3  
BX's are known to run hot but not usually in the red. As mentioned, I would have the gauge and sending unit checked under warranty but before you do that, make sure you check your radiator. Make sure that the cover in front of your knees is clean as your tractor sucks air from behind instead of from the front of the tractor. Also check your screen that pulls out that is under the hood to make sure it is clean. Then blow air from either a compressor or leaf blower at your radiator. Make sure you blow from the front of the tractor towards your seat and you should see a lot of crap fly out past your battery. Pay special attention to the bottom of the radiator as this is where most of the crap gets stuck. Do not blow to close to the radiator as you may bend the fins.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #4  
BX's are known to run hot but not usually in the red. As mentioned, I would have the gauge and sending unit checked under warranty but before you do that, make sure you check your radiator. Make sure that the cover in front of your knees is clean as your tractor sucks air from behind instead of from the front of the tractor. Also check your screen that pulls out that is under the hood to make sure it is clean. Then blow air from either a compressor or leaf blower at your radiator. Make sure you blow from the front of the tractor towards your seat and you should see a lot of crap fly out past your battery. Pay special attention to the bottom of the radiator as this is where most of the crap gets stuck. Do not blow to close to the radiator as you may bend the fins.

What he said and also slide the battery back to see in there better.

The new series run high in the white zone about 1/4 inch from red and minor plugging will put it in the red.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #5  
I would try a new sender if your temps seem right. I would still check the rad screens (2) first. Also do a quick check on fan belt for tightness and condition.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #6  
I checked my 1800 as it was doing the same. The radiator even looked clean so I replaced the thermostat and it still run hot... log story short I took the battery out and a water hose to the radiator and could not believe the stuff that was caked in there

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?)
Thanks for the responses. I was aware of the clogged radiator/screen issues from reading posts on this site, which has been very helpful. As a Maintenance Nut, I've cleaned the screen and radiator fins after each use with either a leaf blower or a wand on the air compressor. So, my conclusion is it's either the temp sending unit (because the IFR readings are ok) OR nothing is wrong if this is true -> The new series run high in the white zone about 1/4 inch from red . Or maybe it's a combination of both. If this is true, Kubota needs to recalibrate the gauge on these tractors. It's nothing short of terrifying to see the temp gauge so close to the danger zone.

The gauge only touches the red zone when the air temperature is over 95 (which has been too often lately), the mower is engaged, the grass is relatively high and I'm mowing up a hill. Even then, the IFR reading is <200.

I'll keep an eye on it. If it continues to run into the red zone, I'll load it up and take it in during the mowing off-season.

Thanks again.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #8  
my "screen" was and stayed clean. It was like dust stuck to the fins inside the radiator. looking at it it looks clean and even did not blow much out with air but it did wash out with a water hose

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?)
Got it...I'll give it a try with the garden hose.

Thanks for the input.

/ BX1860 OVERHEATS (?) #10  
The new series run high in the white zone about 1/4 inch from red and minor plugging will put it in the red.
B.S.

I have a 2010 BX1860 (54" MMM) with about 100hrs and have never been "in the red". That includes cutting 1.5 acres of grass and moving tons of stone/mulch in really hot weather -- and I have never even gotten close to putting the temperature gauge into the red.

Something is wrong with the OP's engine cooling or lubrication system. It is not normal to get the temperature gauge into the red zone during typical operation.

Wrooster

Last month:

way-hot-22jul2011.jpg

DSCN5741.JPG

DSCN5535.JPG

DSCN6357.JPG