Traction Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #1  

Anonymous Poster

I use my L3010 2WD Kubota to maintain my gravel drive down here in Mississippi. I notice my rear tires spin fairly easily when the box loads up. I don't want ballast in the tires since I use my tractor for finising mowing around our place. Would appreciate any advice on other methods to stop the tire spinning.

Thanks

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #2  
Wheel weights you can bolt on and remove. Check with your dealer.

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #3  
One option is chains. Used them on a 2wd JD, works great. Will have a little time in put on & take off, but u will think you have a new tactor. 2nd option: do u have draft control? If so, see the responses to my posts on draft crontrol. 3rd option: get a 4wd tractor. 4th option: take a little less gravel and use your 3pt to feather whats in the box sooner. 5th option: try a regular blade and angle it so gravel u cut slides off, then go back and smooth.

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading
Thanks Slippy. Guess I thought chains were mainly for snow and ice. I'll check this out. Money is an object...lol.

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #5  
Kubota makes a weight set but I like easy weights. They have a website it's: www.easyweight.com

You use weight plates that go on barbells. you can add and subtract what you want and you don't get a hernia putting them on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daryl
Forage Services L.P.

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #6  
Well, that's going to happen regardless - you can raise the threshold by FWD, extra weight (tire ballast, add-on weights), or increasing rear tire grip (chains, R-1 or R-4 tires if you currently have turf tires). I've an L3410 GST FWD with R-4s, so likely more of a mismatch between available power and tractor weight/traction. I, like you, don't like placing ruts all over my grassed in areas, so have not "watered" my tires. You'll just have to lighten up on the loading of your box blade.

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #8  
I would think that with 2WD the dirt in a FEL will reduce rear tire traction. I picked up one load and the rear tires came off the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You want front weight if you don't have steering control or you pick the front tires off the ground when you lift the box blade.

Jrpoux

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #9  
I missed that he only has 2WD. If I only had 2WD and a loader, I would quickly learn that a big, heavy boxblade on the rear is mandatory. I would also replace the rear tires with some Michelin radial tires, XM 35's I think they are. Without 4WD, a loader is a lot more difficult to use as efficiently. Backing up hills with a big load is almost undoable. If you really need to use the boxblade for some heavy box blade work, consider removing the loader and filling the tires. I think filling the tire is worth a shot even if your grass is sensitive. My 2WD International is filled and its my mower. It makes no difference on the turf be they filled or unfilled, the footprint is just so big the extra weight is not a factor. Where I live, no freeze protection is needed so dumping the water to experiment was easy to do. I had them empty and removed the front weights. I have everything back on including the water. Prior to having my 4WD Kubota, my 72" 1200lb boxblade would hardly do much on my heavier 2WD International. The 4WD Kubota pulls it so easily, I just don't use it on the International except to spread a little gravel. If I did, I would buy the Michelin radials for it. Rat....

/ Kubota L3010 Traction While Box Blading #10  
<font color="blue"> I think filling the tire is worth a shot even if your grass is sensitive. My 2WD International is filled and its my mower. </font>

I am such a big fan of filled tires that the first thing I did when I got my JD lawn tractor was to fill them. Yeah, it is a garden tractor, so doesn't weigh much. However, it is awfully darn stable - I never get too worried about tipping it (and I do take it where it was probably not Meant To Go - hilly property).