Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: Diesel break-in

Break-in oil is not an urban legend, as has been suggested. I don't know if Yanmar uses break-in oil, but I'd bet they do, and if they don't, they should. You should either leave it alone until at least the 50 hour mark, or refill with whatever Yanmar supplies AS THE FACTORY FILL , then dump that at 50 hours. If it were mine, I'd leave it alone until 50 hours.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

I would not change it unless the manufacturer said to. It is not just the oil, but the seating of the rings and the valves. New Holland salesperson told me not to change it under any circustances. In my boat my I was also told not to change it.

If your dealer can't give you information then get to the manufacture yourself.

murph

Geesh bigpete,
    I was tired last night when I read the first post. I thought you were a bit crazy.
    What I THOUGHT you said was.......your Yanmar 2210 with 10.2 hours....??
    Now I see it is a 2210 with a Yanmar..... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60

<font color="blue"> "I thought you were a bit crazy."
    </font>

At the risk of using a double-negative, you were not incorrect in that part of your assessment [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410

Where do you buy "break-in oil"? Just curious cuz I never seen any oil can that said Break-in Oil on it. I think the tractors come with whatever oil is recommended, in the case of a kubota that would probably be their Kubota branded oil. You know, I have seen autos and tractors and stuff like that being serviced new out of the crate with oil right off the shelf and it did not say break in on it. I think Quaker State is a "break-it" and wear it out oil. Could be wrong. J

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410

"New Holland salesperson told me not to change it under any circustances. In my boat my I was also told not to change it."

Sales people say lot's of things, you should have spoken to the mechanics--maybe you did--as a mechanic myself, dirty oil is dirty oil. If it is full of fillings there is no point in creating more by running the contaminated oil, the filter should remove most of the big stuff anyway though. Ring seating is important and that is best done by using moderate power and load levels with frequent cooling down cycles to prevent cylinder glazing. Modern engines of all types are less demanding of a break-in due to close tolerences and new types of coatings and materials. I never ask salesmen about anything not covered by the brochure--could be wrong again. J

Tractor
    JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60

J,

I'll be on the phone to my dealer and/or his shop tech tomorrow and will post a note here about that very question.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Tres,

I guess I should clarify that. I was sitting in the room with the salesperson and a few of the mechanics while on break. They pretty much all agreed to wait the 50 hours. You are going to get all kinds of junk coming through on a new tractor but the filter should catch it all. 10 hour oil will be black, but it is still good oil. Their thing was letting the rings and valves seat before changing the oil. I would think that if I wanted mine changed earlier than recomended they would have done it, I think they would make money if so. On my boat I bought three years ago I also wanted to bring it back within a month for an oil change. The sales person there did tell me to wait until the end of summer. The boat question there was no mechanics there but the sales person did sales and repairs a long time ago but now just does sales. I guess the thing I am saying here is, find out what it says in your book or go to the dealer to find out when. Just don't go changing it.

murph

Tractor
    John Deere 2520

The owners manual of my JD 4110 states the oil should be changed after the first 50 hours of operation.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

We have a 30 gallon drum of New Holland break in oil at the shop. I can't say if NH offers it in small containers, I haven't seen them. I wouldn't expect to find it too easily; there is a very small demand for it, I suspect.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast