Oil & Fuel Diesel break-in

/ Diesel break-in #1  

bigpete

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60
Just looking for a little affirmation on the break-in for the Yanmar in my 2210:

I'm on my way out to change the oil @ 10.2 hours on the clock. The engine and tractor have been used under one form of load, or another, since the first hour. Somewhere in the first two hours, I ran the 62C mower for about an hour at various RPMs. Shortly there after, at around 3 hours, I used the machine to push 2-1/2 feet of snow for several property owners. With snow that deep, I clocked about 3 or 4 hours according to the "use it like you stole it" philosophy.

The oil is pretty black, and my gut, and memory of a few earlier threads, tells me the time to the oil is change is now. The owner's manual is silent about this topic.

Any comments or advice?

/ Diesel break-in #2  
Bigpete

Oil in a diesel will always be black. One of the qualities of oils formulated for diesels is that they deal with the soot that is a natural byproduct of diesel combustion.

RonL

/ Diesel break-in #3  
I changed at 25 then 50 and then every 50. My oil does not turn black even for the first oil change it looks clear on the dip stick but of course in the drain pan you can see some soot in it. J

/ Diesel break-in #4  
NH calls for 50 hrs. to first change.
Many auto companies don't want oil change too soon because of extra 'break-in additives'.
What does the manual say about first service(hours?)?
I'd follow the manual for the schedule.

/ Diesel break-in #5  
I just checked my oil today and it is still clear after 10 hours of operation. Kubota recomends changing the oil after the 1st 50 hours of operations and then every 100 hours thereafter.

John

/ Diesel break-in #6  
I was told not to change until I had 50 hours on it. There is additives in some oils for breakin periods, but my manufacture said you have to at least wait until the rings seat properly. I would not change it unless the book says to. If the book doesn't say then get your dealer to find out for you.

murph

/ Diesel break-in #7  
Change oil after the first 50 hours,every 100 after that.

/ Diesel break-in #8  
bigpete

If you want to change the oil go ahead. JD will sell you more break-in oil if you think you need it. I don't know if it has special properties but I do know its 10w-30 oil.

I have a habit of changing any new equipment oil after just a few hours of operation. And just in case there is something special about break-in oil I used it for that first change. Then used my favorite oil after I hit 50 hours.

/ Diesel break-in
I've never seen break-in oil on the shelf, but then again, I've never really looked for it either. Maybe I'll do quick change with new break-in oil unless it's too expensive.

/ Diesel break-in #10  
I have never seen break-in oil either. In aircraft they run a mineral oil for breakin but I have never seen a break-in oil for anything else--I think it is an urban legend. J