How Can I figure the kind of tractor to get next?

/ How Can I figure the kind of tractor to get next? #1  

JJPO

Tractor
NH TZ24DA
I have a NH TZ24DA. I bought it in 2004 and it's been great. I have 7 acres but am planning to start farming herbs on 3 acres. Would my NH do the job? Would I be overworking it? Should I consider an upgrade and if so, what? I would stick with NH over JD, although JD is better and perhaps more reliable, it is much more expensive too (just for the name).

/ How Can I figure the kind of tractor to get next? #2  
About a year ago, we tripled the size of our market gardens. We raise organic vegetables, almost 30 varieties. I began with a Kubota BX, a tractor quite similar to your own NH. To take on the expansion, I needed ground clearance, not necessarily a bunch more horsepower. Herb farming is a specialized form of market gardening, so I understand a bit of what you are going through.

I loved my BX, but a subcut simply wasn't able to handle the row work of market gardening, with its very limited ground clearance. I studied a lot and decided upon a Kubota B2320 with its awesome ground clearance. One of the best moves I've ever made. It is virtually as nimble in the gardens as a BX but so much more capable.

A huge, lumbering, heavy tractor simply isn't suited for this kind of specialized farming. More is not more!!! I'd encourage you to think through the specifics tasks and specific implements you'll be using in this 3 acre project. I also wish you the very best in getting the right machine for the future. Best regards,

Last edited:
   / How Can I figure the kind of tractor to get next? #3  
hp wise that machine seems fine for small farming activities.. especially a green farm. it can pull a single bottom plow, rototill, pull a lighter disc.. run at least a 4' hog style mower.. etc..

now.. wht kind of ground clearance does it have? turf ? belly mower?

soundguy

/ How Can I figure the kind of tractor to get next? #4  
hp wise that machine seems fine for small farming activities.. especially a green farm. it can pull a single bottom plow, rototill, pull a lighter disc.. run at least a 4' hog style mower.. etc..

now.. wht kind of ground clearance does it have? turf ? belly mower?

soundguy
Judging by the pictures I've seen, it probably has 6 inches or less of ground clearance like my GC2400. It will do the initial work to prepare the garden, but don't even think about cultivating with it after the plants have started.

/ How Can I figure the kind of tractor to get next? #5  
yep... with only 6" clearance, even plowing would be rough.. tilling ok.. etc.

soundguy