Will JD riding mower start with deck removed?

/ Will JD riding mower start with deck removed? #1  

signsup

Tractor
John Deete Lx277
Just purchased a used John Deere LX277 and it started and ran fine. Dropped and removed the deck to work on blades and belts and went to start the mower to move it back into the garage and it won't start. Spins like crazy, but acting like no spark. Is the engine designed not to run when not under load and will not start with the deck and belts removed?

/ Will JD riding mower start with deck removed? #2  
On my John Deere lawn tractor I don't engage the mower deck until the engine has started and is running. If your deck is "engaged" it may not start, that's a safety issue. That's how it's set up on my JD, will not start if the deck is engaged. So see if you have the switch or lever in the "on" position.

/ Will JD riding mower start with deck removed? #3  
Seems that if the safety is working right, it should not even spin. My mowers wont engage the starter motor if the deck is engaged. The microswitches are usually on the levers if mechanical linkage is used. If it is electrical contact, then it could be mounted just about anywhere. If you have everything in neutral, I would look for something other than the safety switch. Perhaps you pulled a wire loose or something when you removed the deck.

/ Will JD riding mower start with deck removed?
Maybe engaged is the wrong word. I have the mower deck off and the PTO switch and the seat switch are all in the proper position. The key turns and the starter motor is going like crazy and I believe the engine is turing over, just not starting.
In addition to the blade vbelt which is engaged by the PTO switch and then I lower the deck by hand.
But there is also a drive belt that goes from the engine to the PTO pully that is removed with the deck. So I'm thinking that I have taken a lot of static load of the engine drive shaft.
But I don't know if that affects anything.

I just didn't know if there was some other reason why the engine ran great with the deck on and not won't start with the deck off. All other ghings being equal.
Thanx for the assistance so far.
This is great.

/ Will JD riding mower start with deck removed? #5  
If it cranks it's probably not a safety interlock interfering. like mentioned it wouldn't crank if the pto switch was on.

Maybe fuel shut off solenoid? You need to see if you are getting spark first, if you are then it's fuel related.

My older JD lawn tractor with Kawi 18HP is an ornery starter when it's hot, has to really spin for a while with some choke manipulation mixed in to get it to fire. No problem when it's cold.

JB