Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Default Re: how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    One good use for old hydraulic oil is for bar oil in chain saws. You have to saw a lot of wood to use 5 gallons of it though.
    I wouldnt reccomend this.

Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT

Regular old bar oil is only $6 /gallon. And a gallon will cut a LOT of wood.

I think I will spend my money wisely
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Don't know where in northern Idaho you are but if near the washington border cross over and you will find nearly every O'reilly's takes it and a lot of napa's and autozones.

Tractor
    Kubota M4700

I use my old oil and hydraulic fluid to spread on the wood floors of my trailers and manure spreader. I make sure it is well soaked in before I take then out and use them. It helps preserve the wood and since I make sure that I do not plan to use them for a while after I oil them the oil does not get away from me.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

Quote Originally Posted by Trovenn Forestry View Post
    Don't know where in northern Idaho you are but if near the washington border cross over and you will find nearly every O'reilly's takes it and a lot of napa's and autozones.
    hmm, guess ill check spokane next. i know that they have a waste oil electrical production unit there, but i called and they wont accept oil if my license plates are idaho...go figure.. Ill call some spokane auto parts stores.
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by missouricountrygirl View Post
    I use my old oil and hydraulic fluid to spread on the wood floors of my trailers and manure spreader. I make sure it is well soaked in before I take then out and use them. It helps preserve the wood and since I make sure that I do not plan to use them for a while after I oil them the oil does not get away from me.
    I forgot that also. I do the same thing to my wood deck trailer.

But I do like used motor oil better. Makes the trailer look like it was just painted black. I am not sure hydraulic oil would give the same effect, but probabally just as good at preserving the wood.

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    I forgot that also. I do the same thing to my wood deck trailer.

But I do like used motor oil better. Makes the trailer look like it was just painted black. I am not sure hydraulic oil would give the same effect, but probabally just as good at preserving the wood.
    Seems like soaking the wood deck in oil would make it slick when it rains??? Maybe not a big deal.

One use for used oil is chain bar oil on the chain saws, at least I use it for that. Also use it tooil chains on bicycles, atv's etc, and disc bearings/bushings/spacers on disc harrows, and other moving parts on implements.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat T200

If you have any airports nearby, you could check there. Many airports have big oil cubes for recycling waste oil.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    Seems like soaking the wood deck in oil would make it slick when it rains??? Maybe not a big deal.

One use for used oil is chain bar oil on the chain saws, at least I use it for that. Also use it tooil chains on bicycles, atv's etc, and disc bearings/bushings/spacers on disc harrows, and other moving parts on implements.
    Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    I wouldnt reccomend this.

Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT

Regular old bar oil is only $6 /gallon. And a gallon will cut a LOT of wood.

I think I will spend my money wisely
    Re-post of my above post. It is NOT advisable to use used oil for a chainsaw. Bike chains, pivots on implements, etc are fine. But the oil doesnt magically appear on the bar of a chainsaw. It has to go through a small pump. There is NO filter on these either, and they arent cheap to replace. $6 of bar oil will go a LONG way.

And as far as the trailer being slick, it is if you use it within a couple of days after oiling it, but the wood absorbs it and it isnt as slick as you would think. I have never had any problems.

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

"Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT"

I use some of the used car oil to lube the chain on the Chainsaw. I look at it this way: That oil has been in my car for months and I trusted it to go round, hundreds of times an hour, lubricating the $15,000 engine in the car. An hour later I'm using it as a one shot total loss on $40 chain. I know it is not as "sticky" as chain-saw lube but try telling that to the wife when she finds it on my clothes in the wash.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Our township has 4 hazardous waste days each year where they take anything. Plus you can take it to the dump in gallon jugs.

You may not have global warming down there but we have been studying water temperatures around here for many years (better than 50). We are finding that they are increasing and its giving our native cold water fish (mainly lake trout) a hard time having a succesful spawning year. Some years the success rate is zero...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast