how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #31  
"Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT"

I use some of the used car oil to lube the chain on the Chainsaw. I look at it this way: That oil has been in my car for months and I trusted it to go round, hundreds of times an hour, lubricating the $15,000 engine in the car. An hour later I'm using it as a one shot total loss on $40 chain. I know it is not as "sticky" as chain-saw lube but try telling that to the wife when she finds it on my clothes in the wash. :eek:

Well now you went and opened up an WHOLE 'NUTHER can 'o' worms.

We were talking about used hydro oil.

Used motor oil is a BIG NO-NO.

IF you want to do it, fine, but please do NOT advocat anyone else doing it. Used "motor" oil is considered hazardous waste. And your chainsaw bar flings it around and it will create a fine spray:confused2:

And as far as trusting it in your car....Well, your car pumps it through a filter befre it circulates it, your chainsaw does NOT. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that the clearences inside the pump in your saw are a lot tighter than your car.

And are you really saving that much????? We cut 20+cords of wood per year. And I bet we dont even go through 4 gallons. :confused2: Whoopie, a whole $24 of bar oil for cutting ~$2500+ worth of firewood:confused2:

But hey, you saw. Do what you want. I have bought, sold, and fixed MANY saws in my lifetime. And I honestly dont think I have EVER had to replace an oiler that was used in a saw with BAR OIL. But I have done pleanty that have had used oil in the tank:confused2: Bar oil is specifically made for the job.

Would you use motor in your transmission if it would save you a few bucks???
Or what about plain motor oil in your hydraulics???

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #32  
Any auto parts store and Walmarts with oil change service will take it around here. I do about 100 oil changes a year and never a problem getting rid of it.

Chris

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #33  
Niiiiice, my neighbor sprayed his fence post with oil/diesel/tar mix and he lives a 1/2 mile away up on a hill and now our pond and the 2 of the neighbors ponds that are down hill from his farm have a nice oil sheen on them. The rainbow sheen is so pretty...not.

Unless he sprayed several hundred gallons AND you live directly down hill from him AND EVERYTHING between your pond and his fence post is dead as the surface of the moon, I have to call BS on this. You do know that nearly every dirt road in many states used to be sprayed with used motor oil? I don't mean just a little, I mean a LOT every year to keep the dust down. You also know that millions of gallons of motor oil drip off of engines every year and according to what you wrote every pond in the country would be blighted from that! (but they are not)

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil
Well i found a auto parts house in spokane wash that will take 10 gal of it at a time, so im going there. Ill take 1/2 my load tomorrow and pick up some stuff in town while im there. Next week ill take the remainder . Cant believe what a hassle its been here in idaho. And the idaho walmart said they cant take it. It must be an Idaho thing.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #36  
Our town takes waste oil and sells it, but a friend makes bio diesel (for his construction machines and Kubotas too) and takes all that I can send him usually about 5 gallons a year and filters / blends it. He picks it up in my 5 gal buckets - gave him 15 gallon the yr I did the hydro change.

Havent had the idea yet to ask him for a full bucket of bio diesel in return, now that would be a good swap!

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #37  
"Used motor oil is a BIG NO-NO.

IF you want to do it, fine, but please do NOT advocat anyone else doing it. Used "motor" oil is considered hazardous waste. And your chainsaw bar flings it around and it will create a fine spray"

I'm not promoting the use of motor oil, just saying what I do. The local transfer station here only has one day a year for the disposal of hazardous waste and by the time that comes around I have 20 or 30 litres of the stuff out back of the garage.

"And as far as trusting it in your car....Well, your car pumps it through a filter befre it circulates it, your chainsaw does NOT. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that the clearences inside the pump in your saw are a lot tighter than your car."

The car in question is a twin turbo Subaru GT wagon so I think the tolerances and operating requirements would be far in excess of what you would find for chain saw lube.

"And are you really saving that much????? We cut 20+cords of wood per year. And I bet we dont even go through 4 gallons. Whoopie, a whole $24 of bar oil for cutting ~$2500+ worth of firewood"

But hey, you saw. Do what you want. I have bought, sold, and fixed MANY saws in my lifetime. And I honestly dont think I have EVER had to replace an oiler that was used in a saw with BAR OIL. But I have done pleanty that have had used oil in the tank Bar oil is specifically made for the job.

Would you use motor in your transmission if it would save you a few bucks???
Or what about plain motor oil in your hydraulics???

That would be No and No but those uses are continuous operations on expensive machinery. Chainsaw lube is a one-off total loss operation. The used oil was going through a filter 5 seconds before I switched off and drained it. Oil is oil and as such it hasn't lost any of its lubricating properties. It was changed to renew all the minor additives which have degraded and lost their properties. (anti-foaming etc)

Sure it's being sprayed around the environment just the same as the dedicated chainsaw lube is. :)

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #38  
Sure it's being sprayed around the environment just the same as the dedicated chainsaw lube is. :)[/QUOTE]

Dedicated saw lube does NOT have all the contaminates that make used motor oil a "hazardous waste"

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #39  
I have 20 gal of used hydraulic oil and a couple of gallons of used motor oil, and i tried to find someplace in north Idaho that will take it.....N O P E, So much for our states recycling program. The land fill will take 5 gal per week per person, between 12 and 3 pm on Friday only. No one else will touch it. I thought people were wanting this stuff for waste oil furnaces and power production. Wrong. Here they consider it toxic waste.
How bout where you live. I hope there smarter than us.

Last time I did a fluid change on my L4200, I had 14 gallons of waste. I absolutely could not find a proper disposal location during the month or so I drove around with it in the bed of my pickup. Finally, I mentioned it to one of my friends, who took it off of my hands. He works for the railroad, and they use waste oil to lubricate the rail switches (even though it is officially taboo, but they do it anyway).

I usually just dump my waste oil onto my fire pit to get it going, but 14 gallons was too much for that.

JayC

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #40  
I always put used oil in the oil tank for my furnace. Never had a problem burning it.