how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #1  

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
I have 20 gal of used hydraulic oil and a couple of gallons of used motor oil, and i tried to find someplace in north Idaho that will take it.....N O P E, So much for our states recycling program. The land fill will take 5 gal per week per person, between 12 and 3 pm on Friday only. No one else will touch it. I thought people were wanting this stuff for waste oil furnaces and power production. Wrong. Here they consider it toxic waste.
How bout where you live. I hope there smarter than us.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #2  
I have 20 gal of used hydraulic oil and a couple of gallons of used motor oil, and i tried to find someplace in north Idaho that will take it.....N O P E, So much for our states recycling program. The land fill will take 5 gal per week per person, between 12 and 3 pm on Friday only. No one else will touch it. I thought people were wanting this stuff for waste oil furnaces and power production. Wrong. Here they consider it toxic waste.
How bout where you live. I hope there smarter than us.

No problems around here. I know several people with waste-oil heaters that collect from the local farmers and what-not. That is how I used to dispose of my waste oil, that and using it to help get brush piles going.

But that was all before I started burning wood in the garage and set up an oil drip. Now I have no trouble at all burning all that I consume. Free extra heat, plus it helps when getting a fire first a rolling:thumbsup:

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #3  
One of the local NAPA stores recycles it here. Also, I believe Autozone will take it, but I haven't taken any there. Seems like I Googled and found a number of places in my city that way.

The NAPA store has a 500 gallon tank in the back and he lets me bring my 5 gallon buckets back there to dump them myself.

I checked with one of the "quick-lube" places and they said they would take it, but only in gallon jugs. Go figure.

It does seem like the number of places accepting used oil is dwindling.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil
I called my NAPA store (3 locations) plus o'rilies auto parts chain, plus 3 different mini lube places. No one wanted it. I thought people paid them for it. I was offering it for free. They all said....NO WAY.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #5  
Autozone will take 5 gallons of used oil a month. I have been taking my used oil there for many years.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #6  
Did you try posting it on Craigslist..?? I've gotten many gallons there for my waste oil furnace... It loves hyd. oil..!!

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #7  
One good use for old hydraulic oil is for bar oil in chain saws. You have to saw a lot of wood to use 5 gallons of it though.:D

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #8  
I get empty oil drums from the local fuel supplier. When I get one filled, I take it to a local (indiviual owned) oil change shop. They gladly take it, because they are paid about $.80 per gallon for it.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #9  
Most every auto parts store as well as most TSC stores around here take used oil. They don't really have a limit, but I try to take no more than 10gal at a time.