Parking Raised Loader

/ Parking Raised Loader #1  

2mcummings

Tractor
2011 Kubota BX25
Hello, I am new to tractor ownership and have a small barn on a 10-acre property where I do not live. I have created a makeshift barn door with a lock to keep the new machine safer from vandals/thieves. In order to fit the tractor in the barn, I must raise the loader up to approximately 6 feet to avoid a beam the protrudes from the wall. This is the only way to fit it in there.

My question is simple: Is storing the loader in a raised position harmful in any way?

Thanks,
MC

/ Parking Raised Loader #2  
It's not harmful, bet most likely it will not stay raised by itself-most loaders will slowly leak down some over time, some faster than others. I would suggest you build a small platform or shelf to rest the bucket on.

And Welcome to TBN:)

/ Parking Raised Loader #3  
i do not leaving the loader up at all.because as said itll leak down over time thus dropping the loader.an it can also bust your cylinders from falling.an its not safe leaving it up.we dont leave the loader up in the air here at all.if i see it up i usually raise thunder about it.

/ Parking Raised Loader #4  
I strapped my bucket to my rafters with nylon straps once to work under it.

Something like that may be an option also.

/ Parking Raised Loader #5  
Is it in a place where you could just place a permanent post under it? That's all it would take. Or, is the protruding beam strong enough to support it?

/ Parking Raised Loader #6  
Is the beam a support beam? If the removal of part or all of the beam does not structurally jeopardize the integrity of the barn, I, myself, would initiate these measures. Then I would wrap two big logging chains over and around the axles. Just a thought. Happy Tractoring.:tractor::tractor:

/ Parking Raised Loader
Hey thanks everybody for the quick responses. I believe the beam is sturdy enough to handle supporting the bucket, and I would rather not remove it because the barn is OLD and needs all the support it can get. I might just rig up some supports for under the loader's arms to help hold it up when I park it. A "belt and suspenders" approach, so to speak.

Thanks for your help. If what I plan to do raises any concerns, please let me know. The forums here have been a wealth of information and I appreciate the warm welcome to the site. Cheers!

/ Parking Raised Loader #8  
i do not leaving the loader up at all.because as said itll leak down over time thus dropping the loader.an it can also bust your cylinders from falling.an its not safe leaving it up.we dont leave the loader up in the air here at all.if i see it up i usually raise thunder about it.

Whaaaa?

The pressure on the cylinders is ONLY from the weight of the loader arms and the empty bucket. That's way way less than the pressure from the act of lifting the full bucket.

The caution on storing a raised bucket is that an uninformed person (read children) could play with the tractor, move the loader control causing the arms to drop -- injuring or killing them. An accident like that is negligent as a prudent man would not store the machine in that way, so you are totally on the hook for all damages and insurance potentially won't cover it. The manual will tell you to store the only with the bucket on the ground with pressure relieved. Failure to comply puts you at risk.

/ Parking Raised Loader #9  
Where I keep my tractor I have renters. The six year old climbs up and sits on my tractor seat when I am in the barn working. He is a nice young man and asks if he can sit on the tractor.
I would bet $20 that he sits on it when I am not there and that he pulls the levers. How can you be a six year old boy and not.
I do not have a way to lock the barn, so I am careful what I leave out.
I do always leave my bucket on the ground or resting on my boxblade and whatever I have on the back I also always sit on the ground too.

/ Parking Raised Loader #10  
Rest it on the beam you are trying to avoid, it's gonna end up there anyway after a day or 2.

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the loader on any beam, but I would worry a little if it came down against the wall's siding, could push out.

Could you roll the bucket down under (fully dumped) depending on the bucket you may save some space doing that.

With my ballast box, I have to drop it from the QH then raise the 3 pt and back up tight to it. that little bit of space I save allows me to close the shed door.

JB.