JD QA vs SSQA

/ JD QA vs SSQA #1  

canoetrpr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded
I might be selling my Kubota and purchasing a JD 4520. My Kubota has a SSQA and the two compatible attachments other than my bucket are pallet forks and a hay spear. I don't really envision getting anything else but really one never really can future proof enough.

The JD is a used machine and has JD QA. My choices are:

1. Sell / trade my forks and spear and get the JD QA versions. I expect this to cost me a few hundred dollars in difference (say $500)
PRO: Lower weight of the QA
CON: Not compatible with a future purchase, a future tractor etc.

2. Convert the bucket to SSQA by getting it cut and a plate welded on. I had someone do this for me with my Kubota bucket. That cost me about $250. Then get the JD or Horst SSQA adapter. Heck I actually see a almost brand new Horst SSQA on kijiji around here for $ 600. I think the total for this will be around $850.
CON: Weight of the QA - but not a huge issue given the loader has plenty capacity.
PRO: Compatible with any future purchase, a future tractor.

3. Horst makes a different adapter - JD QA to SSQA that I found out courtesy of another forum user who actually tried to originally go with a JD SSQA with problems. Not sure what that costs but I'm guessing $700 or so. I do have 2 SSQA attachments. The bale spear is what tends to get used in the winter and does not see any use in the summer. The forks tend to get used a lot more in the summer to move my mineral feeder every few days. Probably not too inconvenient an option for the odd time I have to move the adapter from one to the other.
PRO: Both QA options available.
CON: More weight of QA on spear and forks - not huge deal.

Any suggestions on the best way forward?

/ JD QA vs SSQA #3  
I might be selling my Kubota and purchasing a JD 4520.

3. Horst makes a different adapter - JD QA to SSQA that I found out courtesy of another forum user who actually tried to originally go with a JD SSQA with problems. Not sure what that costs but I'm guessing $700 or so.

Any suggestions on the best way forward?

Not sure what may dealer paid for the ATI version I have (didn't charge me) but Everything att. has them starting at $795

ATI Tach-All Universal Skid Steer Quick Attach Hitch for tractor loaders

/ JD QA vs SSQA #4  
The Skid steer attachment is the way to go as it is universal with all manufactuers and allows for more economical attachments.

To buy a only specific manufactuer attachment adds more costs then just on the initial purchase. Everytime you look for another attachment it means you have to go back to that make dealer.

All manufactuers which they could tie people up and make things so the people have to come back to them only. This is the case here with the jd style QA.

I remember when skid steers all had there own style about ten years ago and pallet forks were about 1,300!
Today with everyone using the same style hook-ups other then deere on compacts we sell them for 975!

/ JD QA vs SSQA #5  
Well I will disagree with some I believe the JDQA is the way to go. Now that's been said here's how I'd attack the problem. A SSQA plate costs about 200. Order the pins and retainers from JD. Probably about another 100. Abit of welding and you've made your own adapter plate and can use the best of both worlds.

For the ones who believe that SSQA is the only way the question still remains. For the "average" user on this forum a large number only have a few attachments. Also as a selling point you can easily reduce your buying audience when youd decide to sell this tractor. IMO an adapter plate is the preferred method to go.

/ JD QA vs SSQA
For the ones who believe that SSQA is the only way the question still remains. For the "average" user on this forum a large number only have a few attachments. Also as a selling point you can easily reduce your buying audience when youd decide to sell this tractor. IMO an adapter plate is the preferred method to go.

Interesting thought. Right now I'm trying to decide whether I want the hassle of not having the right adapter plate on when switching attachments. My current conclusion is that I might as well bite the bullet and modify my bucket so I don't have to deal with this.

/ JD QA vs SSQA #7  
Well I will disagree with some I believe the JDQA is the way to go. Now that's been said here's how I'd attack the problem. A SSQA plate costs about 200. Order the pins and retainers from JD. Probably about another 100. Abit of welding and you've made your own adapter plate and can use the best of both worlds.

By adapter plate for $200 do you mean the plate that comes on the attachments? Or the tractor side with the two latches? I doubt you could buy the tractor side for less than $500 unless used or going out of business sale/auction. So $600-700 to bulid an $800 adapter. Not much savings, just by the adapter JDQA to SSQA

/ JD QA vs SSQA #8  
Maybe its worth just grinding the JDQA off and getting a $150 SSQA plate welded on? I did that with my manure bucket and a neighbor welded the plate on.
On the other hand I was surprised how rare SSQA attachments are in the used market around me. It might be easier to find JDQA stuff used?

I did find a new SSQA bale spear for $250, just a single prong but it works well enough. A guy brought up a truck load of wildkat attachments and was selling them for very reasonable money.

/ JD QA vs SSQA #9  
The Skid steer attachment is the way to go as it is universal with all manufactuers and allows for more economical attachments.

To buy a only specific manufactuer attachment adds more costs then just on the initial purchase. Everytime you look for another attachment it means you have to go back to that make dealer.

All manufactuers which they could tie people up and make things so the people have to come back to them only. This is the case here with the jd style QA.

I remember when skid steers all had there own style about ten years ago and pallet forks were about 1,300!
Today with everyone using the same style hook-ups other then deere on compacts we sell them for 975!

Agree. Bite the bullet and get rid of the proprietary JD coupler. That coupler is, in addition to sporting the disadvantages already pointed out, is prone to shearing the pins in the torque rod and wearing the holes that the pins go through. This allows the two sides of the coupler device to approach the intended attachment at differing angles. This is a major PITA.