Elite Member
    Tractor
    Here

Default Tractor cooling system comment (not a problem, just an observation)

I'm no tractor mechanic, & I've wondered a few times about how a tractor can keep itself cool enough when it's flippin' 100 degrees outside.

Well now I know - The other day I got off the tractor & put my hand right in front of the front screen, & the air flow over my hand was very powerful & very cool!! Almost A/C like! I was shocked!

I was sweatin' my butt off in the burning hot sun, totally soaked in sweat, & here the tractor is sucking in this seemingly nice, cool air.

I assume it felt "cool" to me due to evaporation?

What temp range does a normal tractor engine operate at?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

Default Re: Tractor cooling system comment (not a problem, just an observation)

I would have to assume that it operates about the same range as a car as they both run the same range pressure cap on the rad and the same range thermostat. Not to mention the same antifreeze.
    The radiators are built more like truck rads though....

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1720

Engine temp is controlled by the T-stat look in your manual check the spec. of the T-stat and you will know. The gauge 1/2 point reading should be the high reading. Paul

Tractor
    Kubota BX2350

I don't know the exact answer, but I'd think it would be in low 200 degree range.
    Dave,
    BX2350

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1720

Quote Originally Posted by twoone View Post
    Engine temp is controlled by the T-stat look in your manual check the spec. of the T-stat and you will know. The gauge 1/2 point reading should be the high reading. Paul
    My tractor runs at aprox. 190 degrees . and I agree putting your hand in front of the tractor would give the same affect as if were on the other side acting like a cooling fan what you feel is the fan drawing in the air and moving it over your wet skin. Paul