Mowing Saving Fuel

/ Saving Fuel #1  

Rich F

Tractor
Kubota BX 2360
Have a Kubota BX 1500 with a 54" mid mount mower.I am mowing approx 2.5-3 Acres.Looking to reduce the amount of time spent cutting the grass.Taking me on average about 2.5 hrs.
What is the best option? Offset mower to widen the cut?Pull behind finish mower? Thought about a zero turn but have a bumpy lawn & don't think I would be able to use it at its full capabilities.Also want the diversity of the tractor.

Any suggestions??

/ Saving Fuel #2  
I like the idea of an off-set pull behind, rear discharge finish mower to widen the cut. OR hire the neighbor kid every other time. I mow about 3.5 acres and I split it up into a two day job. That way it doesn't turn into work and I can still enjoy mowing.

/ Saving Fuel #3  
I always thought a offset mower would work well if you had a lot of fairly open ground. I imagine you could get pretty close to 10' of cut with an offset mower. I've seen them used and they work well.

/ Saving Fuel #4  
It all depends on how loaded the engine is with the current MMM. If you're already taxing the engine with the mower in your specific mowing conditions, you are not going to gain time by adding an additional rear mount mower because you will have to slow down to keep from stalling. You may be cutting a path twice as wide, but at only half the speed erasing any gains in time and your wallet too.

On the other hand, if you have at least half of your hp/tq left after engaging the MMM, then adding a rear mount offset mower might be doable. Your current speed of one acre per hour is mighty slow, and from the sounds of it you're going that slow to get a good cut. In other words, you're taxing your machine to its full potential and won't benefit from a rear mount mower.

For comparison, I cut 3 acres/hr in pretty bumpy and tough conditions on my Bobcat Procat 52" zero turn. It has a suspension seat and rides as well as my tractors.

/ Saving Fuel #5  
By going to a wider mower, you may reduce your mowing time...doubt if you see any fuel savings though. The bigger mower would put more of a load on your Kubota.

Last edited:
   / Saving Fuel #6  
You will NEVER save fuel. The cost upfront will never offset it. Don't kid yourself. If you want to make it less time that is fine but don't look at it as saving fuel.

You want to do it quick spend $12,000 and get a Ferris 3100 with the 37HP motor. Can easily mow 8 acres a hour at 2.5 gals per hour with the right operator.

Really though, just sit back and enjoy the ride. With todays hectic world I love my seat time.

Chris

/ Saving Fuel #7  
How about a gang mower? I'm sure you could pull one of those with your tractor and get more cutting width. Might take some getting used to with a bumpy lawn, though.

/ Saving Fuel #8  
I pull this seven gang mower with a 28 HP John Deere B. It cuts many acres per hour! This is my friend Robert riding the tractor!

Wayne

Attachments

• grass2.jpg
    grass2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 197
   / Saving Fuel #9  
I pull this seven gang mower with a 28 HP John Deere B. It cuts many acres per hour! This is my friend Robert riding the tractor!

Wayne

That looks like a blast! I love the way a tractor feels when it's pulling something. I can only imagine what a rush it is to see the grass clippings flying off of those reels. :thumbsup:

/ Saving Fuel #10  
:)
I mow the lower half of my yard on the 10th 20th and 30th of the month .
Mowing this section on this schedule instead of weekly reduces mowing it 4 and 5 times a month to only 3 times per month.
The upper half is mowed on the 14th and 28th of the month thus reducing mowing it to twice a month instead of 4 and 5 times a month .

This schedule saves my time plus hours on the tractors and fuel .
:)