CDL licenses....

/ CDL licenses.... #1  

Anonymous Poster

I was just curious to know if you drove a 5 yrd. dump truck, if you needed your CDL? What size of dump truck do you need to have your CDL? Same goes with trailers. I know you need a class A (is that right?, maybe it's in WA that they call it that) license, but what size do you not have to have one? I want to switch jobs and work for an excavation company, but I don't know when I'll be able to (when I have the time) start the process in getting my CDL license. Do you think some companies won't mind if I don't have it yet or do most require you to have it? I'm not planning on working for Wilder or something, just a local excavation company. Thanks for the info.

Blake
WA

/ CDL licenses.... #2  
Blake, in Mass. a truck over 26000 gvw requires a class B license but if you add a trailer over 10000 GVW you need a class A license. Hope this helps, Bill C

/ CDL licenses.... #3  
Blake- CDL requirements are the same nationwide and are as Billfires said. Generally, 5 yard trucks require a class B CDL. There are some 5 yard trucks that are licensed for less than 26,000 GVW but most are licensed for 30K or so. If the GCWR (combined weight of truck and trailer) exceeds 26,000 AND trailer weight exceeds 10,000, then you must have a class A license. Virtually anything bigger than a compact tractor will weigh more than 10K including the trailer. You are much better off getting your CDL. There are some hoops you must jump through (physical, etc.) but it will help distinguish you as a professional truck driver, not just some guy driving a truck. Good luck.

/ CDL licenses....
I got my first class 1 at that time in 67' Now it is called class A.. Tell you what though, a lot of dealers are selling trucks, particularly landscape type dumps as NO CDL needed as they are 25K gvw. When it has air brakes, you are automatically CDL required. My own father in law was a IH- later called Navistar dealer. A salesman there advertised as written above. CONDOT was right in there, 25gvw w/air brakes is misleading advertising. You need a cdl. Get your class B, you can rent a straight truck from Ryder or any big rental outfit and take the test..

/ CDL licenses.... #6  
Air is the key word up to 26000 gross for CDL. I would recommend getting a class A if you have to go to the trouble of taking the test. Take the Air, and Hazmat too. If you have a fuel tank in the back of your truck, not sure on the capacity, I think not much over 100 gal, you need hazmat to be legal. Was kind of a sticking spot for some of the loggers around here.

/ CDL licenses....
Thanks guys for your help. I'm hoping to have time to go through the process. I don't know what it is but I'll find out at some point.

Blake
WA

/ CDL licenses.... #8  
I just got my license about 3 months ago and it wasn't all that hard. You should definitely spend some time reviewing the drivers manual for the class and endorsements you need. The manual is available in printed versions at any Washington Dept. of Licensing office or you can get the online version from their website. They even have practice tests in the manual you can take to get ready to go in and take the written. Once you pass the necessary written tests you can get your learners permit. Then the fun begins! Fortunately I have relatives that have class A licenses with no restrictions and they taught me how to drive. Once I felt comfortable enough to take the driving test, I called up the local examiner and made an appointment to take the test. I didn't do very well on the driving test mostly because the route we took is the same one I drive every day to work. When we crossed the Wynoochee river he asked me what the yellow warning sign said. I knew I was in trouble because I didn't even remember seeing a sign. Lost points on that one! I also have to admit that I still need to concentrate on my shifting (9 speed road ranger), and the fact that we were talking about all sorts of things didn't help in my driving (ground a few gears). Finally the test was over after about half an hour and I had passed!

I drive a 5 yard truck licensed for 33,000 and pull a 10 ton trailer so I went for the class A, air brake, tanker and hazmat. As long as you're under 26,000 gross you don't even need a cdl regardless of brake type. I noticed when I was looking to buy a dump truck I saw a lot of new trucks rated for 25,999 so they could skate under the cdl requirement. Personally I think anyone driving trucks much over 20,000 should have to pass some kind of skills test. Trucks this size just don't drive like a car and the test does teach you some things most drivers don't even realize. Good luck when you decide to go for your cdl. I sure like mine now that I have it!

/ CDL licenses....
you may get away with air brake and under 26K in Washington,, try this elsewhere, I know Ct/Ma/RI and probably all the east coast won't allow it. Now I don't know it all, But I have 13 tractor trailer rigs and one million three hundred thousand logged miles and probably another one hundred thou not logged. Re-read your rule book, I'd like you to tell me where in that book it says under 26K and having air brakes is exempt from class B CDL. This is a subject that gets me hot under the collar all the time. If my own father in law, who a was a dealer for 51 years is told, can't advertise air brake under 26K as non CDL, then something is wrong here.

/ CDL licenses.... #10  
Yes, the rules are pretty vague. The way I interpret them is that you need a CDL with air brake restriction removed to drive anything with air brakes. You should anyway, as their are a few critical differences in operating a vehicle with air brakes. You can also bet that if you are driving an "under 26,000 non-CDL" truck you are likely to be closely scrutinized by Commercial Vehicle Enforcement. If you get pulled over in one of these trucks with no CDL and you ARE over 26,000, you not only will get an overweight ticket, you will also get a ticket for driving a commercial vehicle without a CDL. Dump trucks in general are closely scrutinized because they are often overloaded. When I drove a dump truck I was overweight many times (not by choice), but I was lucky and never ticketed.