Oil pressure too high?

/ Oil pressure too high? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
I posted some questions about my Massey 245 in the MF forum and got a couple of responses, but I wouldn't mind getting a little more input on the one question I really care about the most.

My oil gauge is reading high. I changed the oil and filter and it didn't make a difference. Here's the needle at 1000rpm. Should this concern me or is this just possibly a gauge calibration problem? Or is high pressure a good thing unless it's pegged? It's a Perkins 3cyl diesel if that makes any difference.

IMG_0208.jpg

/ Oil pressure too high? #2  
G'day is that cold? I would say that is not a prob, cold those motors run about 65- 70psi @ 1000rpm . If you are worried and have acces to a pressure gauge to give you an accurate reading you could check it out with that. Better that side of the gauge and not the other:D

Jon

/ Oil pressure too high? #3  
G'day is that cold? I would say that is not a prob, cold those motors run about 65- 70psi @ 1000rpm . If you are worried and have acces to a pressure gauge to give you an accurate reading you could check it out with that. Better that side of the gauge and not the other:D

Jon

I suggest banjodunn have the oil pressure checked with an independent gage. If it's reading wrong, the actual pressure may be at the other end of the scale.

/ Oil pressure too high? #4  
yep.. use a 'real' gauge listing psi.

also.. is this hot or cold..a nd what oil? 15w40? or?

and what are your temps.

does it go lower when warmed?

how many hours on machine?

it just start doing this or been doing it a while?

soundguy

/ Oil pressure too high?
Soundguy said:
yep.. use a 'real' gauge listing psi.

also.. is this hot or cold..a nd what oil? 15w40? or?

and what are your temps.

does it go lower when warmed?

how many hours on machine?

it just start doing this or been doing it a while?

soundguy

Hot and cold. Doesn't vary with temp. The temp gauge doesn't work so I can't give you actual numbers.

15W40 Delo

1600 hours and the machine is new to me so I don't know if it's always been that way or not.

What would be the highest safe number if I hook an actual pressure gauge to it?

I'm still happier it's reading high than if it were reading really low, at least I think I am.

/ Oil pressure too high? #6  
too much oil pressure can be an issue too.. like washing out bearings.. etc.. or leaking.. can also be an indicator of major problems ( spun bearing..e tc.. )

put a delinieated gauge on it and read it. if 80+ be worried..

as another said. I've sene an old gauge be 'half a scale' wrong... thus I always check gauges. if it's an oem you want to keep.. just swap in another to double check it..

soundguy

/ Oil pressure too high? #7  
definitely, do as others have suggested, put a live gauge in it... and I would suggest installing it in the same port as the current gauge. Purchasing a "T" will allow oyu to run both at the same time....
I am not familar with MF equipment, is this a live gauge or does it use a sending unit at the engine connected to the gauge by a wire???

/ Oil pressure too high?
PoorMansCat said:
definitely, do as others have suggested, put a live gauge in it... and I would suggest installing it in the same port as the current gauge. Purchasing a "T" will allow oyu to run both at the same time....
I am not familar with MF equipment, is this a live gauge or does it use a sending unit at the engine connected to the gauge by a wire???

There's an actual tube running from the block to the gauge. It should be pretty easy to unscrew the fitting and attach a graduated gauge. I guess I need to buy myself an oil gauge now.

/ Oil pressure too high? #9  
i keep a reference one in my tool box for just such reasons.

that way I can keep an oem gauge with a tractor IF it is reading ok.. etc.

soundguy

/ Oil pressure too high?
So I took Soundguy's advice and picked up a graduated gauge from Auto Zone and hooked it up to the tractor. Boy was I relieved when it quickly rose to 60 psi cold but went no further. Looks like I won't have to drop the oil pan after all!

Thanks for all the great input. Now all I have to do is weld up the part I broke while removing the loader so I could replace the air filter. It turns out a QD loader really isn't QD when the bolt hasn't been turned in 15 years.