Best 40 HP Compact Tractor

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #1  

Alan Davis

Tractor
Kabota BX 2350D
Could we can some suggestions on the best approx. 40 HP compact tractror for the money.

I'm in the market for a new tractor to us a bush hog, tiller, plow, disk and would need a loader.

Been looking at all brands but kinda like the Kubota Grand L40.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #2  
The best one is the one you own, especially without a loan. Everyone has their favorite, that's why we bought it or it was a compromise for a deal too good to pass up. Any 40 hp tractor will do the things you mentioned. They will vary in configuration of where the buttons and levers are, type of transmission, and of course price. Try them all out, check out the dealers and their service and parts departments, and above all talk to current owners in your area. I am not above stopping, watching, and talking to someone working their tractor to see how they like it and which local dealers they use.
It is supposed to be fun, including making the decision. Report back when you buy one. And remember the TBN rule, no pictures, it didn't happen.

Last edited:
   / Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #3  
Mine but its a 50 hp Grand L5740

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor
Thanks Randy.

Love the looks of that Boomer 8N.

Little out of my price range but would love to have one.

I do have a 52 8N.

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #5  
I would not take for my GL 3940. It a 07 model with around 300 hours now. I've had absolutely no problems. I wish it were a little longer in the operator platform as I am a fairly tall guy but in every way a great tractor!

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #6  
I agree with Randy. Give the 1600 series MF a look, providing you have a dealer close by.

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #7  
I love my GL4240 and wouldn't buy a different brand after owning it for a little over a year now.

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #8  
The best one is the one you own, especially without a loan.

Amen, Brother!:thumbsup:

I had to go for a used outfit to get a tractor, loader and backhoe for a price we could handle without a loan.

Well, I do have to pay my wife back for less than a third of my purchase. I'm doing a lot of improvement to the property that she wanted, too. My goal is to have her paid off in a year.

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #9  
I love my GL 3940, small enough to get me into and out of the woods and big enough to pull all my implements.

/ Best 40 HP Compact Tractor #10  
You can't go wrong with either Kubota or John Deere, imo. Not saying there aren't other good brands out there but I've had several Kubota and Deere compacts and all were good. I'd recommend driving different models and then decide. Years ago Deere was consistently higher priced than Kubota around here but in recent years Deere and Kubota are pretty close when comparing equivalent models especially after bargaining with both. Doesn't take a whole lot of persuasion to get say 15-17% discount on Deere compact tractors whereas Kubota dealers won't bargain much.
So for me, it comes down to driving the tractors and going with the one which suits best.