Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater?

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater? #1  

TroySD

Bronze Member
For the guys up north...My question is, Is a block heater sufficient for keeping a tractor "warm" in the winter or should I look at a tank heater or even a transmission heater? Temps will range from 20 to -35 below zero. It will be kept in the barn to keep the wind and snow off but its far from a heated shop. The ole "M'' will start anytime but since my Boomer 35 is new I'd rather not subject it to a cold start if possible. The Farmers Almanac is calling for a early freeze and early snow, so I figured I'd better get planning. Snow plow needs rebuilt, pump for the plow needs fixin....

On another thought...anyone have suggestions on improving a regular 6' bucket to make a snow bucket that is convertible back to a dirt/general purpose bucket?

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater? #2  
My Kubota would start in -25, block heater or no block heater. I know, because, well.... I know!:laughing::laughing:

That said, it is delightful to plug in the block heater for a few hours and start a partially warmed up motor. It doesn't do anything for the hydro unit, but the engine purrs.

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater? #3  
another easy add that is kind to your engine is a trickle-charger/battery-maintainer ...if you are the belt-and-suspenders kind, there are heating pads you can attach to the hydraulic reservoir and, of course there are, as you suggested, fuel-filter-heaters (RACOR, e.g.) One thing to avoid is a dipstick heater.

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater?
I figure it will start but even assuming a proper warm up I'd rather not put any undue wear or stress on it. Didn't know if a tank heater or transmission heater would help much.

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater?
One thing to avoid is a dipstick heater.[/QUOTE said:
Isn't that what the wife is for? Why would I need 2? :D

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater? #6  
Block heater hands down. Heating the glycol is the best way. Unless you are talking about plumbing in a thermo start, similar to what MF and NH used, may be a different story. Adding a block heater is a smart move.

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater? #7  
I figure it will start but even assuming a proper warm up I'd rather not put any undue wear or stress on it. Didn't know if a tank heater or transmission heater would help much.

Tank style coolant heater and frostplug style coolant heater work equally well. If power is available, either is preferred to any other cold start aid, period.
Frostplug style heaters are generally more efficient, draw less wattage, are less costly to buy, and present a cleaner installation than tank heaters.

/ Diesel Fuel Heater or Block Heater? #8  
Block heater.:):):)

There are other types of heaters but they cost Buck's and are really for larger equipment for places that electrical power may not be available.