Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Default Re: puffs at high idle

Crog,

I don't think your problems are over with yet. If your tank had crap at the bottom of it you will still continue to have trouble. You will just have to work at cleaning it out. My new tractor on the first tank gave me the same trouble you are having. My filter was plugged with all kinds of crap and even after 6 tanks I still get crap in it after the dealer cleaned it all out. I have to say it is getting better each time though. My problem was my tractor sat on the lot all winter long with an empty tank and moisture must have filled that tank. At one point they were going to pull the tank and get me a new one. Anywas I've rambled enough, but I would keep adding injector cleaner an moisture eliminater for a while yet.

murph

Glad you found the problem Croq. Seems it was what many of us theorized, the dreaded water. I would recommend, as several others here have, that if at all possible, remove the tank and clean it thoroughly. I know you said however, that you did not have the tools to remove it. If you take another look, and you still can't get it off, you can get alot of it out using the old wire hanger and a lint free rag.

Bend the end of the hanger securely around the center of the rag and use it through the filler cap. Use the biggest rag you can fit easily through the fill hole and soak out the rest of the water and fuel. If you can see the bottom of the tank easily from the fill cap, you should be able to clean it pretty good.

Remember to close off the fuel outlet to prevent any more water from sloshing into the fuel bowl. Depending on how well you can see into the tank, after you get everything you can out with dry rags, you can use a rag soaked with a generic laquer or paint thinner and get the rest. DON'T use the thinner if your tank is plastic, it may not hurt it, but it may be expensive to find out! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Laquer thinner evaporates quickly, but make sure it is completely dry before adding fresh fuel.

Good luck and be careful.

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

Just got back into town and saw this thread. I'm having an issue too that made me think I had a problem with my injector pump...

Long story short, I talked to the dealer last week as I was driving out of town, and what he told me was essentially (paraphrased)..

"If your injector pump is going BAD, you will have a hard time starting your machine. A bad pump doesn't create the pressure it needs right away and has to "build up" pressure to get it started."

As I had told him that WHEN my backhoe runs, it runs GREAT, it also STARTS quickly (when it starts), he strongly suggested I stay WAY away from the pump.

His suggestion to me that I'm doing later this week/weekend, is drain tank COMPLETELY, take flashlight, take note of the sludge he suspects is currently residing in there, take a pressure washer, clean tank out, take air compressor, blow tank out, then let air dry until DRY. Then if I have my specific issues (felt to be fuel starvation), go up the line to the transfer pump... THEN consider the injector pump. His immediate conclusion though, considering backhoe starts quickly and runs fine is.. pump fine. Sounds like your situation is somewhat similar.

Hope this helps
    Richard

Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

uh...oh.... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Just got to bottom of thread [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Glad your all fixed up, hope I have similar results.

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2004 JD 4310 300CX 72MM, dozers, excavtors, bachoes, loader, tractors.

Nice grab JohnMiller3 [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Jeff,

Before you pull the injection pump... did you try fresh diesel fuel...? It will take you less time to try different fuel versus removing and replacing a non-defective pump and still have the same problem…

I don’t mean to disagree… but I really think you have a bad batch of fuel and Not the pump…

Glad the pump wasnt' shipped out and all that work performed for nothing. I know that I have a terrible time making sure I am not "looking to hard" for the trouble that I'm experiencing in ANYTHING. Normally all said and done I'm out alot more money that just checking and doing the simple obvious tasks first. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Yep, All excellent advice!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123