puffs at high idle

/ puffs at high idle #1  

Crog

Greetings,

I have a Hinomoto E2304 with 780 hours. I have been operating it for about a month, and it has been running great. I filled the tank this weekend, and noticed something different. When I set the throttle to 2000 RPM or higher, there seems to be a miss. Every time it sputters, I get a puff of white (could be bluish or grayish but it's hard to tell) smoke.

The higher the RPMs, the more it does it. Starts fine, and no problems below 2000 RPM.

I suspect bad fuel, but I could be wrong.

Will it do any harm to just burn through this tank, or should I take more drastic measures. Are there any other conditions that could explain this problem.

thanks,
Jeff

/ puffs at high idle #2  
I'm not familiar with the Hinomoto, but if it were my Kubota, I'd sure be having a look at the fuel filter to see if there wasn't some water there that needed to be gotten out NOW.

/ puffs at high idle #3  
You could have a injector that is sticky try running some ATF in with this tank of fuel like half a quart to the tank.

It will do wonders to clean injectors. Give it a try it won't hurt anything.

PJR

/ puffs at high idle #4  
I agree with PJR . A little ATF will help clean the injectors. Get yourself some good fuel additive like PowerService also . My Mitsubishi smoked a small bit all the time while running it (black).I have used PowerService for the past 6 months and it runs smoother and smokes less. It will also add lubrication and help extend the life of the fuel pump.

/ puffs at high idle #5  
Croq, I have to agree with Bird, check your fuel filter. The fact that it runs ok at a lower RPM could mean it is starving for fuel.

I have never used ATF in a diesel so I can not comment on that, But if the tractor seems to have normal power levels below 2000 RPM, the fuel itself may be OK, but may have contained some water or other contaminent that is clogging the fuel filter. One thing I do know is you don't want any water in the combustion chamber.

Can't hurt to check!:)

P.S. Let us know what you find /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ puffs at high idle #6  
PJF,

I have heard of injector cleaner, but what is ATF? I am assuming it is not just an injector cleaner based on the fact that you would use a half a quart? Or is it just a brand name?

murph

/ puffs at high idle
Thanks for the advice,

I cleaned the fuel filter last weekend. There was water in it, but the problem continued.

I will try the ATF (automatic transmission fluid, right?), 'cause I wouldn't be suprised if there was some injector cloggage going on.

Jeff

/ puffs at high idle #8  
<font color="blue"> I filled the tank this weekend, and noticed something different. ... I get a puff of white... smoke.

I suspect bad fuel, but I could be wrong. </font>

I concur... sounds like water in the fuel...

With a small tank, I'd drain the few gallons and replace the diesel fuel from a higher volume dealer... your problem should then be resolved... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ puffs at high idle #9  
since the ATf stands for automatic transmission fluid is there a special type or grade of automatic transmission fluid and how much would you add to a 7 gal tank.

murph

/ puffs at high idle #10  
I think you have a injector going bad, it sprays fine at low RPM's and when the speed increases so will the combustion pressure and it will affect the spray pattern and pop off pressure. It is hard to isolate the injector with a rotary pump. If it is leaking down the one before or after it in the firing order could be affected by low pressure . ATF may correct it if it is just starting to gum up. Just my input, I think water would also give you problems at low speed.