removing old fence posts

/ removing old fence posts #1  

mthiel

Tractor
JD 4110
Is there a good way to use your tractor to remove old wooden fence posts? I guess I could use my back and kick it hard a few times.

/ removing old fence posts #2  
<font color="blue"> Is there a good way to use your tractor to remove old wooden fence posts? </font>

If you have a front end loader, just wrap a chain around the post and the loader will pop them right out.

/ removing old fence posts #3  
Well you could do it that way, But I've had better luck using a chain and the FEL or a chain and a floating drawbar on the 3 pt if it is a big one even if you have to reset the chain to get a second pull.
Jimc

/ removing old fence posts #4  
I use a chain and my backhoe. With the backhoe I can 'wiggle' the fencepost side to side instead of just front to back like with my front end loader.

/ removing old fence posts #5  
I use my rear boom and a short chain. Pops them out pretty easy and quick. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ removing old fence posts #6  
I get more lift from the 3pt, and use the I-match 'top' hook to attach one end of the chain, then loop twice around the post (like a double half-hitch or clove-hitch rope knot) to grab the post.

If the posts are not very tight, then the FEL works good too.

There are a variety of other ways too, depending on the equipment you have available to you.

Whichever is handiest.

/ removing old fence posts #7  
I pulled a bunch of old posts at my Mom-in-law's place with a boom pole on the 3PH and a chain. I used my Ford 1210, and had the front wheels off the ground a few times in the process. That was before I had the B7500 w/ FEL. I'd like to try some again with the FEL and see how it compares..............chim

/ removing old fence posts #8  
I use my FEL and a chain, too. Works great...just one thing to note.

I've had this happen to me and saw a thread a while back where it happened to someone else:

Sometimes the post will be stuck in there real good (as alluded to in a couple of the posts on this thread). When that happens, the tractor will get pulled off the ground on the opposite end that the post is being pulled from.

Now I do the same thing the other fellow did, which is to use the FEL and stand next to the tractor and operate the control lever. This is not smart (although I can't say I've completely kicked the habit), because if the back end lifts up, the tractor will tend to levitate towards one side or the other. If it heads towards the side you are standing on, there is a decent chance that you'll find out exactly how much it weighs, because it will be on top of you, pivoting around that stubborn post and the front wheels.

This can be made a lot less dangerous (although not completely safe) by making sure you are *on* the tractor seat when you try to pull the post out. Like I said, I don't always practice what I preach, but I did want to mention that pulling posts can have some....uh...interesting and exciting side effects...Chris

/ removing old fence posts #9  
The rear 3PT has more lift cap. than FEL on about all tractors and u can only get front end a couple feet in air vs flopping over like chris is talking about.
If u wrap chain around wood post usually lift it up and let 3 pt back down the chain will slide down too,it works like a jack then.
A backhoe works too, stick one tooth into side of post at or slightly below grade then roll bucket and lift post comes out.

/ removing old fence posts
Looks like I'll to use the 3pt. I do not have a FEL. Thanks for all the suggestions.