how to balance tractor

/ how to balance tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board here and wish to have your opinions on balancing a tractor.

First of all the tractor will be a L3830 (process of ordering one now). I have the 753 fel with r4 tires. I plan to use the loader for the majority of work on the property and once every couple of weeks I will be cutting about 6 acres of grass with an 84" rear mount. Not real important on quality of cut at this time.

Should I go with wheel weights, should I fill the tires with calcium or what I like best - a ballast box with either stone or sand. Just wondering what pros or cons go with using the ballast box over the other two methods.

Thanks for listening.

/ how to balance tractor #2  
Wheel weights cost hi $$$$ and are some what difficult to put on and off very often.
Calcium eats rims and should be put in tubes, price is not real hi, a pain to take out and if tire leak u lose it.
Ballast box, homemade low $$, easy to put on and take off.
Helps lower the stress on front axle and can be adjusted fast and easy.
I would go ballast box and make it usable for other things too.
Carry chains or chainsaw and other tools.
Lots of 3 pt carriers posts on here along w/ ballast boxes just do a search, also windshield washer fluid in tires for weight.

/ how to balance tractor #3  
Hoeman00
I couldn't have said that any better (in fact, not that well).

I have just in the last few months gone to the ballast box with the quick hitch and it is a joy to use. Quick to drop off and quick to pick up. The result, is that it is on when I need it, rather than trying to sneak by without it - that is when one can get into trouble. I filled my ballast box with washed stone.

/ how to balance tractor
Thanks for re-affirming what I believed all along. One of the dealers I was dickering with said definetly calcium, the other says definetely weights. I guess there is more money in it for them to do it their way.

Does anyone own a L3830 and actually cut grass with it? Maybe that will have to be another post.

/ how to balance tractor #5  
Same issue & same use - I'm ordering a 3430 with FEL, r4's - so far no one has mentioned a lowered center of gravity for a tractor with loaded tires. Any idea if loaded tires will give significant reduction in center of gravity? - all else equal - bucket low, ballest box low etc. I would prefer to not load my tires, but how much stability on slopes would I be giving up? Any idea? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ how to balance tractor
Magnesium chloride is a salt that is safer on rims and the environment than calcium chloride. My R4's are filled with it. If you search on magnesium chloride you will eventually run into some ChemE sites discussing it. The link provided is not the best. I paid $175.00 to fill the rear tires up to the valve stems. The tractor had no problems getting around in 30 inches of snow this winter without chains. Some have said that a tractor will vibrate at top speed with filled tires, but I have not had that problem. There were some good past discussions on your tractors center of gravity vs. ballast-type, implement and FEL placement. Something to search on.

Magnesium Chloride

/ how to balance tractor #7  
I'm a big fan of loaded tires. I use my tractor on some pretty decent slopes (30% +, according to the tilt gauge - which I am also a big fan of). I worked with it for the first year or so with the "stock" tires. Then my tire guy told me about putting foam into the tires (which I will certainly do for my next set, which is coming up soon).

Once I loaded the tires up (I just use water since it doesn't freeze here and because my tires have tubes in them), the stability increased dramatically. You only fill them about half way - the "top" part is still air. That means that *all* of the weight is below your axles, which improves your center of gravity.

You definately do not lose anything by loading the tires, except maybe some wear if you use them on pavement (or possible lawn damage /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif). Ah, having said that I'm remembering some other posts where people have expressed different opinions...you should do a search on one of the owning and operating forums and I'm sure you'll come up with lots of stuff on tire loading.

But it works well for me...Chris

/ how to balance tractor #8  
<font color="blue">…I plan to use the loader for the majority of work…</font>

Filled tires will give you the best stability… with or without your loader… go with windshield washer fluid if you’re concerned about corrosion… (if you’re just ordering your tractor now… negotiate with the dealer and have the tires filled before taking delivery…/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

<font color="blue">…I will be cutting about 6 acres of grass with an 84" rear mount…</font>

…You Can’t use a ballast box and another 3-pt. Implement simultaneously… /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ how to balance tractor #9  
I use a quick hitch and a ballast box containing both old weight lifting weights and crushed stone. I placed two lengths of four inch diameter PVC vertically in the two outer ballast box corners. That gives me a secure place for a chainsaw, a shovel and a large pruner, all of which are nice to have with you in the woods. Plus when I dump the FEL and BB in order to use the MMM, I have less problem with ruts in the couple acres I mow than Iwould with loaded tires. Like in all the advice you get on TBN, you will find it is strictly different strokes for different folks and you have to apply or reject the advice depending on your own situation.
Bill

/ how to balance tractor #10  
I have started moving pallets of unseasoned oak firewood which contain about 1/3 to 1/2 cord. The R4 tires are filled which add about 1200lbs (according to my owner's manual). I also added EZ Weights totaling an additional 380 lbs.

The rear STILL feels light because there is weight almost feet fron the FEL's pivot pins.

This weeks, I dug out my father-in-law's old, homemade ballast box ( actually ballast "drum" - 55gal drum filled with bluestone gravel) and felt MUCH more balanced.

Filled tires will ALWAYS be there, but don't seem to cause that much tearing up of drained sod.
EZ Weights are easy to add or subtract ( but I leave them on all the times. )
A ballast box is easy to add or subtract.

I would get the tires filled, especially since you will be doing a lot of loader work. I have about $130 wrapped up in the EZ weights. The ballast was just lying around.

Mark