What to park outside?

/ What to park outside? #11  
Mop down the floor with some of your used hydraulic fluid and cover with tarp as suggested, spreader will be fine outdoors.

/ What to park outside? #12  
A new building may be out of the question, but is a 'lean to' doable?

/ What to park outside? #13  
I vaguely recall a thread suggesting not to tarp over equipment due to condensation developing and that wrecking the equipment over time. Any thoughts on this angle!

Keep the equipment off the ground (I've used cinder blocks and 6x6 landscape ties) and use a canvas tarp.
It's the plastic tarps that really hold in condensation.
I also spray any parts that move or rotate with Fluid Film or something of that nature. Although I like WD-40, it doesn't hold up long enough for winter storage.

/ What to park outside? #14  
RoyJackson said:
Keep the equipment off the ground (I've used cinder blocks and 6x6 landscape ties) and use a canvas tarp.
It's the plastic tarps that really hold in condensation.
I also spray any parts that move or rotate with Fluid Film or something of that nature. Although I like WD-40, it doesn't hold up long enough for winter storage.

Agreed!! WD40 is the last thing you want to use for winter storage.

Canoe, do you own a undercoating gun??

Last edited:
   / What to park outside? #15  
I vaguely recall a thread suggesting not to tarp over equipment due to condensation developing and that wrecking the equipment over time. Any thoughts on this angle!

Common problem with semi grain trailers. If tarped for winter rots inside the tarp..often better open to the elements !

Most equipment that has been exposed to fertilizer gets a pressure wash then a run past the diesel tank and soaked with the nozzle before storing ..inside or out .

With the cost of shops thesae days your seeing more and more $300'000 combines stored outside winter is,nt the problem it's the spring is the trouble when the thaw melts into everything !

/ What to park outside? #16  
I do just like suggested, manure spreader stays outside but under one of those canopy thingees. I give it a good wash, make sure it's dry then park it up on pallets and spray it with either fluid film or used oil. Before I had the canopy thingee I put boards and used roofing tin over it and all was well.

/ What to park outside?
These seem like some excellent ideas. I just invested in a pressure washer as well and can't believe I lived without one so far!

Good thing I asked about the tarps and condensation.

I am still somewhat nervous about tarping over it as the bottom is closed. I can certainly just tarp over top of the box and the beaters but still keep some room open at the rear so that air can get into the box without much snow.

The spot I have in mind has a building on one side (my dog kennel), neighbours fence on the other side, 3ft retaining wall behind and mature trees covering the whole area. Probably about as good as you can get for outside storage.

Don't have an undercoating gun but it seems like a good idea. I imagine you are spraying fluid film with this Will? Alternatively I could use a few of the Aerosol can's every year.

The spreader is probably an ideal implement to store outside as my spreading is concentrated around a couple weeks in late fall and thats it.

I imagine I should keep it tarped or covered with roofing material all year until it is time to spread?

/ What to park outside?
BTW Will - where do you source the Fluid Film from around here? Does PA carry it?

/ What to park outside? #19  
canoetrpr said:
BTW Will - where do you source the Fluid Film from around here? Does PA carry it?

This will be the first year we are spraying with Fluid Film. Used Rust check from CDN tire previously. TSC sells it in the spray can, quart, and gallon. I bought the undercoating gun from Car Quest a few years back, as we undercoat everything annually.

/ What to park outside? #20  
Definatly keep the tractor in ... as for the manure spreader. When your done use old motor oil and soak the wood floor, grandad and dad always did this and that darn floor stayed in very good shape.

I would also oil the chains with old oil, the levers and any moving parts and grease her good.

I would not tarp it. Thats just me.