Cutting edge wear

/ Cutting edge wear #1  

billfires

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 1920
After looking at my cutting edge on my NH 7308 loader with 68" bucket, I couldn't believe the amount of wear it has. The loader has been used very infrequently except for snow removal. Has anyone else had this problem? I plan on putting a 7 1/2 foot snow plow for next year. Bill C

/ Cutting edge wear #2  
I am going to weld on a new 3/8 cutting edge under the old cutting edge on bucket this spring. before it wears down and needs to be completely removed. I would rather weld to old cutting edge than have to take it off and weld a new on to buckets steel. the hot top realy does a number on it.

/ Cutting edge wear #3  
Concrete, asphalt and lots of rocks in the soil can really wear a cutting edge. That is why I had hard surface rod welded in a X pattern on the bottom and the outside edge of the cutting edge on my loader bucket when it was new.

/ Cutting edge wear #4  
Have you thought about a tooth bar?

/ Cutting edge wear
Slippy, a toothbar is in the works but I don't think it would be a good choice for plowing snow. Bill C

/ Cutting edge wear #6  
If putting on a new edge go thicker than 3/8, put at least 1/2",the price isn't much more.
I've got a local company that makes blades and teeth for all earth moving equipment .
I got a 1x8"x8' T1 edge for $70.

/ Cutting edge wear #7  
The 1/2in. cutting edge by a minimum of 4 in. wide is just plain good sense. But cut the old edge off before welding on the new one. You will find it will really help stiffen the bucket, exspecially if you go for an 8 in. wide one. Chances are you'll never wear it out.

Egon

/ Cutting edge wear #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but I don't think it would be a good choice for plowing snow )</font>

The bucket on my TC40 has holes drilled every foot or so for teeth. When snow was coming, I bolted the oft-recommended 6" strip of rubber stall mat on the edge. Obviously, it really saved the pavement but, additionally, it saved wear on my cutting edge.

Anyone else put rubber on the cutting edge of their FEL bucket? I also added a strip to my rear blade.

Mark

/ Cutting edge wear #9  
I put a 5/8 plow blade on my bucket for a cutting edge. Will be a long time before it wears. Just fnished another 4" snow this morning bringing our season total to 96".. A 5/8 plow blase works great, easy to obtain and easy to install

/ Cutting edge wear #10  
Mark,

How did you bolt that mat on to your bucket? Do you have any pics to show? I'm curious how you did it without bolt heads or studs to grind into your driveway when floating over...

I planned on putting one on my rear blade this summer sometime, but hadn't considered putting one on the FEL bucket for that reason.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif