Loader Stump Yard Wars

/ Stump Yard Wars #11  
Like I have suggested before, put some C4 plastic explosive under the thing.....AND, if you use enough..... the stump will not be on your property when you are done.... :)

/ Stump Yard Wars
Like I have suggested before, put some C4 plastic explosive under the thing.....AND, if you use enough..... the stump will not be on your property when you are done.... :)

Its a little close to the house for the explosives, though I am sure they would work really well, Just some more cutting of roots, I can see (maybe a better method of cutting, those things are huge) and it will be out.. probably gonna have to wait for a bit, I am out of town for a while. The loader is fine, and the little shovel worked well for what it is.. a backhoe would have been a lot better:). But the shovel broke a lot of the smaller roots, and dug up a lot of rocks and dirt. There is no damage to the loader or bucket. Updates when I can work on it again..

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #13  
James, what about getting a old mobile home and tie it to the stump, next passing tornado should just come along and grab both of them:laughing:

Rick

/ Stump Yard Wars
James, what about getting a old mobile home and tie it to the stump, next passing tornado should just come along and grab both of them:laughing:

Rick

Along the same line, how about sticking an 8 foot copper coated ground rod in the top of the stump and wait for the next lightning storm. KABOOM.. kindling.:D

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #15  
Along the same line, how about sticking an 8 foot copper coated ground rod in the top of the stump and wait for the next lightning storm. KABOOM.. kindling.:D

James K0UA

You folks get all the fun weather:(thunderstorms, tornados, and Dolly Parton too:D

/ Stump Yard Wars #16  
If you need to weaken it by cutting some of the roots, I recommend using a sawzall with a pruning, or wood cutting blade. Or......... borrow a neighbor's chainsaw. ;)

Probably not f you want to stay on good terms with the neighbor. :D

The sawzall is the best way. :thumbsup:

/ Stump Yard Wars #17  
I have dug out Oak stumps on my property. There is not enough money in the world to have me do it for someone else...

I did use my sawzall, with a 12 inch blade. (You can by a multi pack of blades for the same cost and damage repair efforts to driving your chainsaw into the dirt)

The advantage of the sawzall is that you can dig below a bit, and cut the tap root.

I did find that dragging hard on the stump sideways, then cutting on the other side make the cuts, especially those 1/2 in the dirt worked well. Each root cut let the stump roll a bit more. At first the movement is very little, but as you cut more, it will lay over more.

I have not seen an easy way to do this on the cheap. Rent big stuff, or work hard. If it was easy, many of us would have less stumps.

In reading some of the other responses, I am reminded of the movie 'Fandango' I think. Is there a train track nearby? Maybe you could wrap a chain around it, and have a large hook on the other end at the railroad track, and wait for a train to go by...

Have fun.

/ Stump Yard Wars #18  
I got rid of a huge willow stump many younger years ago by digging all around it by hand. Even dug underneath it...all pick and shovel work. Then wacked all the roots I found with an axe. Took two 4 wheel trucks to yank it up out of the hole, even after I dug a half arse ramp for it to slide up. Every time I pass on of them 'pay to exercise here' places I remember that stump... old memories, or maybe it was old nightmares. :)

/ Stump Yard Wars #19  
A method I used to get out stumps with taps roots (before I had a backhoe) was to cut as many of the surface roots as I could easily get to then hook a chain around one of the larger roots and rap it part way around the stump so when I pulled with the tractor it would twist the stump. Sometimes I would have to reverse the chain rap to twist both ways to break the tap root.

/ Stump Yard Wars #20  
If you have electricity at the tree (sawzall), you probably also have water. Then, if you have a pressure washer, you can get down in there and weaken the lifelong relationship between the roots and the soil.

When my chainsaw guys says "this is the last time I can sharpen this one" it gets assigned to Root Detail.