Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

Quote Originally Posted by DAY View Post
    If you have electricity at the tree (sawzall), you probably also have water. Then, if you have a pressure washer, you can get down in there and weaken the lifelong relationship between the roots and the soil.

When my chainsaw guys says "this is the last time I can sharpen this one" it gets assigned to Root Detail.
    Hey now that's an idea, the pressure washer, I may give that a try, this weekend, I did hose off the roots some in an effort to see them better, and loosen things up, some of the larger roots had a large rock shelf under them..But all in all it is just a matter of time and effort, the stump is coming out, it just doesn't know it yet

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

You should have soaked it for 24 hrs, and then cut the roots with something like this.

It can cut in any direction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -pt-1445-004-jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500

two words. stump grinder!

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

The problem with a regular bucket is that it is too wide and you don't get enough force in a small enough area. A stump bucket is good at chewing into some of those roots and getting under the stump edge. Another way to get the tree down is to put a cable in the upper third of the tree and pull it over. Climbing a ladder in a tree is risky in my opinion to place the cable. Tree spikes are safer or a climbing deer stand.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

What I've done in the past is to dig around as much as I can, then keep sawing away at it with an old bar and chain. Once you have it below ground level, cover it with landscape fabric to keep the suckers from coming back, and a layer of topsoil. Softwood trees aren't as bad as hardwood for regenerating.

Usually three or four sharpenings are enough to get through the average stump. I like the pressure washer idea to get some of the grit off the roots, but I think it would create a "stump in a pond" problem as a side effect.

Even a small backhoe won't get these out as fast as some of us would like, you've got to whittle away at the roots gradually. When you consider the work an excavator will do, they have a tough time with stumps too in some cases.

In the old days we'd pour a couple gallons of diesel/gas mix into the soil under it and light 'er up. Not the most ecologically responsible way to do things.

Sean

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

James, another tool that can come in really handy is a regular 1/2" drill and a large 3/8" to 1/2" drill bit. Make a series of holes in the exposed root around the perimeter like a woodpecker makes around the trunk of a tree, but drill up to the full depth of the drill shank. The drill will go into that soft root quite easily; just keep it well lubed. After you've weakened all the roots with the drill and reciprocating saw, you should easily be able to pop that stump out with all the trunk you have left for leverage.
    Jim

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    James, another tool that can come in really handy is a regular 1/2" drill and a large 3/8" to 1/2" drill bit. Make a series of holes in the exposed root around the perimeter like a woodpecker makes around the trunk of a tree, but drill up to the full depth of the drill shank. The drill will go into that soft root quite easily; just keep it well lubed. After you've weakened all the roots with the drill and reciprocating saw, you should easily be able to pop that stump out with all the trunk you have left for leverage.
    Sounds like another good idea, it is raining now, and supposed to some this weekend, maybe get to it sunday afternoon,

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

It has rained all day today, (Lord knows we needed it) so no work today (Saturday). Looks like the stump lives for a while longer

James K0UA
    James KUA

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

After you get it out you can make something memorable from it. I was into making scotch tape dispensers to give away about the time I removed this oak. There is often an area of stump wood that has a unique pattern and out of that area within the square popped a dispenser.

Or you may be so aggravated you never want to see any of it except in the fire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -blackjack-north-lean-5-29-a   -blackjack-hole-5-29-08-a   -tape-dispenser-stump-wood-4-a  

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
    If you need to weaken it by cutting some of the roots, I recommend using a sawzall with a pruning, or wood cutting blade.
    That's what I used for the big stump I removed...
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast