Loader Stump Yard Wars

/ Stump Yard Wars
If you have electricity at the tree (sawzall), you probably also have water. Then, if you have a pressure washer, you can get down in there and weaken the lifelong relationship between the roots and the soil.

When my chainsaw guys says "this is the last time I can sharpen this one" it gets assigned to Root Detail.

Hey now that's an idea, the pressure washer, I may give that a try, this weekend, I did hose off the roots some in an effort to see them better, and loosen things up, some of the larger roots had a large rock shelf under them..But all in all it is just a matter of time and effort, the stump is coming out, it just doesn't know it yet:)

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #22  
You should have soaked it for 24 hrs, and then cut the roots with something like this.

It can cut in any direction.

Attachments

• 8501Tree_snipper-thumb.jpg
    8501Tree_snipper-thumb.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 664
  • PT-1445 004.jpg
    PT-1445 004.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 407
   / Stump Yard Wars #23  
two words. stump grinder!:cool:

/ Stump Yard Wars #24  
The problem with a regular bucket is that it is too wide and you don't get enough force in a small enough area. A stump bucket is good at chewing into some of those roots and getting under the stump edge. Another way to get the tree down is to put a cable in the upper third of the tree and pull it over. Climbing a ladder in a tree is risky in my opinion to place the cable. Tree spikes are safer or a climbing deer stand.

/ Stump Yard Wars #25  
What I've done in the past is to dig around as much as I can, then keep sawing away at it with an old bar and chain. Once you have it below ground level, cover it with landscape fabric to keep the suckers from coming back, and a layer of topsoil. Softwood trees aren't as bad as hardwood for regenerating.

Usually three or four sharpenings are enough to get through the average stump. I like the pressure washer idea to get some of the grit off the roots, but I think it would create a "stump in a pond" problem as a side effect.

Even a small backhoe won't get these out as fast as some of us would like, you've got to whittle away at the roots gradually. When you consider the work an excavator will do, they have a tough time with stumps too in some cases.

In the old days we'd pour a couple gallons of diesel/gas mix into the soil under it and light 'er up. Not the most ecologically responsible way to do things.

Sean

/ Stump Yard Wars #26  
James, another tool that can come in really handy is a regular 1/2" drill and a large 3/8" to 1/2" drill bit. Make a series of holes in the exposed root around the perimeter like a woodpecker makes around the trunk of a tree, but drill up to the full depth of the drill shank. The drill will go into that soft root quite easily; just keep it well lubed. After you've weakened all the roots with the drill and reciprocating saw, you should easily be able to pop that stump out with all the trunk you have left for leverage.

/ Stump Yard Wars
James, another tool that can come in really handy is a regular 1/2" drill and a large 3/8" to 1/2" drill bit. Make a series of holes in the exposed root around the perimeter like a woodpecker makes around the trunk of a tree, but drill up to the full depth of the drill shank. The drill will go into that soft root quite easily; just keep it well lubed. After you've weakened all the roots with the drill and reciprocating saw, you should easily be able to pop that stump out with all the trunk you have left for leverage.

Sounds like another good idea, it is raining now, and supposed to some this weekend, maybe get to it sunday afternoon,

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars
It has rained all day today, (Lord knows we needed it) so no work today (Saturday). Looks like the stump lives for a while longer:D

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #29  
After you get it out you can make something memorable from it. I was into making scotch tape dispensers to give away about the time I removed this oak. There is often an area of stump wood that has a unique pattern and out of that area within the square popped a dispenser.

Or you may be so aggravated you never want to see any of it except in the fire.:laughing:

Attachments

• Blackjack north lean 5-29-08.jpg
    Blackjack north lean 5-29-08.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 224
  • Blackjack hole 5-29-08.jpg
    Blackjack hole 5-29-08.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 289
  • tape dispenser stump wood  - 4-13-09.jpg
    tape dispenser stump wood - 4-13-09.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 271