Loader Stump Yard Wars

/ Stump Yard Wars #31  
Remember the "good ol days' when you could run down to the hardware or feed store and buy a case of dynomite?

Now a days I rarely have to fool with a stump, rent a excavator when I do.

The sight of those stumps flying through the air and across the field is forever burned into my memory.

/ Stump Yard Wars #32  
The sight of those stumps flying through the air and across the field is forever burned into my memory.

When I bought this place about 30 years ago, one neighbor said that years ago another one dynamited a stump which went through my roof! That would have been around 150 feet or more away.

Bruce

/ Stump Yard Wars
Ok, results were a little different today, I did try jinmans idea of the Carbide drill bit, and I did sever all of the visible roots. (but there were plenty more that were not visible.) I tried to pull again after all the visible roots were cut, and it never budged. So put the home-made bucket shovel back on, and had at it digging for a least 2 or 3 hours non-stop. I kept on digging and popping out roots and rocks so deep the shovel was buried, and the Regular FEL bucket was digging up dirt several inches deep too as I run out of reach on the 18 inch shovel. (bet a shovel for forks would be better as you would not have that problem). Anyway after digging to China, I tried the pull going East again, it never budged. So I move the tractor and went South, This time the huge rock on the West side popped and actually split the rock, The stump started to lean, So I grabbed the camera and the Wife, and the rest is history. I could not have done without my little bucket shovel, It would have defeated me again, but it is just a memory now:thumbsup:

James K0UA

Attachments

• The Enemy.jpg
    The Enemy.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 299
  • The hole.jpg
    The hole.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 285
  • ready for final pull.jpg
    ready for final pull.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Its Down.jpg
    Its Down.jpg
    996.6 KB · Views: 319
  • The Weapon.jpg
    The Weapon.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Victory.jpg
    Victory.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
   / Stump Yard Wars
Yeah I didn't want to get "skunked" again, so I stayed at it. By the way the little shovel was invaluable for cleaning off the the embedded rocks in the root-ball, it made short work of that chore. I am going to have to invest in a bigger/better chainsaw than my little 14 inch Mac. I had to cut half way through on one side and then cut from the other side. Of course the little saw is just a "limbing" saw.

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #36  
WELL DONE James!

Make the Victory picture your avatar for a while is my idea!

Call it a victory lap!

Be well!

David

/ Stump Yard Wars
WELL DONE James!

Make the Victory picture your avatar for a while is my idea!

Call it a victory lap!

Be well!

David

OK, done, but the pix looks like it needs to be bigger. I will look into that

James K0UA

I cropped the pix to make is square, that looks a little better

Last edited:
   / Stump Yard Wars #38  
OK, done, but the pix looks like it needs to be bigger. I will look into that

James K0UA

I cropped the pix to make is square, that looks a little better

I LIKE IT!!!

:thumbsup:Woo Hoo:thumbsup:
David

/ Stump Yard Wars #39  
Yeah I didn't want to get "skunked" again, so I stayed at it. By the way the little shovel was invaluable for cleaning off the the embedded rocks in the root-ball, it made short work of that chore. I am going to have to invest in a bigger/better chainsaw than my little 14 inch Mac. I had to cut half way through on one side and then cut from the other side. Of course the little saw is just a "limbing" saw.

James K0UA

I think we should invest in a backhoe, and have a yearly time share.. then again, the cost of shipping between Missouri and Nova Scotia is gonna be a killer.

We've been discussing a log winch lately, and a backhoe down the road. Both are something we need to do, although it's often cheaper to get a backhoe or excavator in to do a few hours work.

I've not tackled any big stumps with any success, our property doesn't have any that we need to get rid of anytime soon.

Sean

/ Stump Yard Wars
I think we should invest in a backhoe, and have a yearly time share.. then again, the cost of shipping between Missouri and Nova Scotia is gonna be a killer.

We've been discussing a log winch lately, and a backhoe down the road. Both are something we need to do, although it's often cheaper to get a backhoe or excavator in to do a few hours work.

I've not tackled any big stumps with any success, our property doesn't have any that we need to get rid of anytime soon.

Sean

Well Sean the little shovel thing works, It ain't no backhoe, but it will dig, and will bust up roots and pop out rocks. And running a joystick is a lot easier than running a bar, and hickory handled shovel:laughing:. As for the backhoe time share, well if you were next door, I would seriously consider it. We could both get subframes installed, and it might not be a bad idea at all. I just don't have enough use for a backhoe to justify the expense, but yesterday it was looking awful good:D.

James K0UA