Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
  1. #41
    Veteran Member Deano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,181
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    I just don't have enough use for a backhoe to justify the expense, but yesterday it was looking awful good.

    James K0UA
    I will say, I thought the same thing...till i got a backhoe...now I use it more than I ever thought I would. Nice job by the way!
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' New Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!! Country Manufacturing manure spreader, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

  2. #42
    Super Star Member k0ua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    15,633
    Location
    Branson, Mo.
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I will say, I thought the same thing...till i got a backhoe...now I use it more than I ever thought I would. Nice job by the way!
    I know, I have thought about it several times. but we don't have a lot of deep dirt here, unless you buy it!.. We have a lot of rocks.

    James K0UA
    James KUA

    Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN


  3. #43
    Elite Member Chilly807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,219
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I will say, I thought the same thing...till i got a backhoe...now I use it more than I ever thought I would. Nice job by the way!
    Yeah.. I'm sitting squarely on the fence. I want one, even need one once in a while.. but there's other things I need more first.

    Sean

  4. #44
    Super Member Gary Fowler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    7,883
    Location
    Bismarck Arkansas
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    I have pretty much removed all the trees I am going to remove unless mother nature blows one over like it did a few weeks ago. Huge oak that will require a lot of digging to get it out or just leave it as it is down in the pasture not far from another stump from a tree that was struck by lightning and died. Both are over 3 feet across.
    I use my backhoe mostly for small chores like removing the yearly crop of rocks that pop up from the winter freeze, digging holes for planting trees, the rare grave for dead animal and that is about it.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

  5. #45
    Elite Member Chilly807's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,219
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400DT

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I have pretty much removed all the trees I am going to remove unless mother nature blows one over like it did a few weeks ago. Huge oak that will require a lot of digging to get it out or just leave it as it is down in the pasture not far from another stump from a tree that was struck by lightning and died. Both are over 3 feet across.
    I use my backhoe mostly for small chores like removing the yearly crop of rocks that pop up from the winter freeze, digging holes for planting trees, the rare grave for dead animal and that is about it.
    We're much the same, although we have a few more stumps in our future. Most aren't in a bad spot to just leave to mother nature, nothing close to the house at all. My use would be mostly refreshing ditches, bailing out our horse pond as much as I could reach (which is another issue with small 'hoes), general maintenance digging.. and just digging for the pure fun of it. Yeah, kid at heart here..

    Sean

  6. #46
    Veteran Member kebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,318
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
    If you need to weaken it by cutting some of the roots, I recommend using a sawzall with a pruning, or wood cutting blade. Or......... borrow a neighbor's chainsaw.
    A sawzall with a 12" blade will work wonders on tree roots! I have used mine to take out a couple stumps myself, and it's a bit safer than working with a chainsaw.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

    2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

    Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

  7. #47
    Veteran Member RaydaKub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,574
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaferhaus View Post
    Remember the "good ol days' when you could run down to the hardware or feed store and buy a case of dynomite?

    Now a days I rarely have to fool with a stump, rent a excavator when I do.

    The sight of those stumps flying through the air and across the field is forever burned into my memory.
    My dad used to tell about removing some cottonwood stumps one time. A large cottonwood can easily top 7 feet in diameter, so you can imagine the size of the root ball. Well, they had a new guy on the crew and told him to go put dynamite under one stump and handed him a bundle. They set it off and the whole ball ended up on the other side of the road about 200 feet away. They asked him how many sticks of dynamite he used. The whole bundle. Nobody told him 1 or 2 was enough... Would have loved to have seen it, but I wasn't even a glint in my dad's eye yet.

    Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

  8. #48
    Super Member radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,606
    Location
    Ontario, NY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    A sawzall with a 12" blade will work wonders on tree roots! I have used mine to take out a couple stumps myself, and it's a bit safer than working with a chainsaw.
    A LITTLE?! lol .. try alot safer. once chainsaw touches dirt - its all over. all it does is rub rub rub.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaydaKub View Post
    My dad used to tell about removing some cottonwood stumps one time. A large cottonwood can easily top 7 feet in diameter, so you can imagine the size of the root ball. Well, they had a new guy on the crew and told him to go put dynamite under one stump and handed him a bundle. They set it off and the whole ball ended up on the other side of the road about 200 feet away. They asked him how many sticks of dynamite he used. The whole bundle. Nobody told him 1 or 2 was enough... Would have loved to have seen it, but I wasn't even a glint in my dad's eye yet.

    Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet
    Now I would've love to see that!

  9. #49
    Super Member CompactTractorFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7,959
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    A sawzall with a 12" blade will work wonders on tree roots! I have used mine to take out a couple stumps myself, and it's a bit safer than working with a chainsaw.
    I 2nd that. Also, make sure you get a "pruning" blade.
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

    Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

  10. #50
    Veteran Member sparc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,045
    Location
    NJ
    Tractor
    JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158

    Default Re: Stump Yard Wars

    Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    Along the same line, how about sticking an 8 foot copper coated ground rod in the top of the stump and wait for the next lightning storm. KABOOM.. kindling.

    James K0UA
    Just don't put a fuse in there or Soundguy will be upset.


    Just kidding of course Soundguy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stump Wars....
    By JerryK in forum Projects
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 10:29 PM
  2. Stump Burn with Blower and coal
    By chopped in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
  3. B7500 Vs. Stump
    By Anonymous Poster in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-02-2002, 03:25 AM
  4. PT-1418 stump grinder spin direction?
    By davesisk in forum Power Trac
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2002, 10:38 AM
  5. Junk Yard Wars
    By Richard in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-22-2001, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.