Loader Stump Yard Wars

/ Stump Yard Wars #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I had a little tussle with a stump today, and so far the stump won.
I started with just the bucket, but quickly switched to the home made
"Shovel" to get between the large roots this tree had and dig down
beside them to be able to cut the roots. I ran out of time and energy.
With the stump still standing and the tractor unable to pull it over.
The dirt was bone dry which does not help. I can either keep cutting,
or add more water, or wait for a good all night rain. The front yard
now looks like "someone has been testing missile's" to borrow a line from
an old Tom Hanks/Shelly Long movie. This war is not over yet. Pix and
Vid's below.

http://videos.tractorbynet.com/video/1012/Stump-Yard-Wars-1

James K0UA

Attachments

• dscf0042b.jpg
    dscf0042b.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 951
  • dscf0043b.jpg
    dscf0043b.jpg
    912.6 KB · Views: 882
  • dscf0067b.jpg
    dscf0067b.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 823
  • dscf0068b.jpg
    dscf0068b.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
   / Stump Yard Wars #2  
Hope you get it out before your tractor is broken. A better choice of tools for that job would be a chainsaw and stump grinder...both can be rented.

/ Stump Yard Wars
Looks like the perfect excuse to buy a backhoe for your tractor:D

Rick

Ah heck Rick, if I had a backhoe, the stump would have been out, and what fun would that be.. hey the little home-made shovel worked pretty well, but those roots were awesome:eek: I just run out of energy and the desire to whack on them any more tonite..later..

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #5  
If you need to weaken it by cutting some of the roots, I recommend using a sawzall with a pruning, or wood cutting blade. Or......... borrow a neighbor's chainsaw. ;)

/ Stump Yard Wars #6  
Wish I had pictures of the small stump that the neighbor and I removed. He tried to be nice, and remove the stump that we were going to remove eventually, while we were on vacation. He has a ford fel/back hoe industrial loader, dug all the way around, and gave up. We didn't feel like digging, so we called my brother. He brought his freind who works on the largest farm in the area. He came over with a front dual, rear triple set up New Holland, don't know the model, but the fronts were taller than me at 5'6''. We broke a 120,000 lb recovery strap from a concrete truck. I got out the old 5/8 inch link chain, and stood WAY back. He had to put it down into 3rd gear before it would budge. The stump was only 2 ft across, Box elder, but stubborn as ****. Took 3 years before I could mow that grass without bouncing off the lawnmower seat.

/ Stump Yard Wars
If you need to weaken it by cutting some of the roots, I recommend using a sawzall with a pruning, or wood cutting blade. Or......... borrow a neighbor's chainsaw. ;)

I thought about the sawzall, but did not go and get it, may give that a try. I don't dislike any of the neighbors enough to use their chainsaw.:laughing: Of course a stump grinder would be really good.

James K0UA

/ Stump Yard Wars #8  
With my BX i found that undermining the cut roots to get a chain under, then lifting with 3 pt hitch worked well.

/ Stump Yard Wars #9  
I'm afraid all you're accomplishing is tearing up your loader. I'm one to really push what my tractor/loader can do, but when it comes to stumps (unless they are tiny, like 3-4") then I go straight for other equipment, even if I have to rent it. The ONLY loaders that are good for this type of work is a track loader. Even a small track loader might have to work to get that stump out depending on the species. Bottom line is rent/borrow the right equipment, backhoe or mini-excavator would be my first choice, chainsaw/stump grinder my second choice. Or if you want to get it yourself keep working at it by hand. Honestly you'll probably accomplish more with a good spade and an ax than your loader. Not trying to be harsh, just speaking from past experience.

/ Stump Yard Wars #10  
James I'd suggest coming at the stump straight on with your home made shovel. Basically digging the dirt out between the roots. Then cut the roots.
Just my 2 cents.

Wedge