Ford 555d backhoe fuel filter

/ Ford 555d backhoe fuel filter #1  

blummis

Tractor
ford 555 extra-vator backhoe and case 485 tractor
does anyone know how to get the fuel filter off. I just recently purchased this hoe and it is need of some tlc. it runs great and got a great deal on it im just putting new filters all the way around the whole thing ..?:confused:

/ Ford 555d backhoe fuel filter #2  
does anyone know how to get the fuel filter off. I just recently purchased this hoe and it is need of some tlc. it runs great and got a great deal on it im just putting new filters all the way around the whole thing ..?:confused:

I have a 555E, so it might be completely different. My fuel filter is a canister that screws on just like an oil filter. Before the filter, there is screen with a glass bowl at the bottom that has to be cleaned fairly often. There is a plastic type nut on top of it that unscrews so the glass bowl comes off the bottom. Mine fills up about every other year. I tend to let it go, but after this spring when it got so bad that it wouldn't run anymore, I've been very good about doing it every few months.

There is also a screen in the fuel pump that will plub up with rust debris. The Mechanic at New Holland said that all metal fuel tanks rust. They need to be store full, and if they are not, the condensation in the tank will cause it to rust. Then rust flakes off and gets into your fuel line. The screens and filter will catch it, but they plug up.

He also said to swap the hoses at the tank. The return hose is up just a bit higher then the supply line, and if you swap them, you don't get as much junk into the line. He also said to blow out the supply line with an air compressor.

Hope this helps,
Eddie