Over Running Clutch

/ Over Running Clutch #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have just purchased a YM 1500 with with a Big Bee
"Agri Four" 4 foot shredder. This is my first tractor and am confused on the over-running clutch.

As it was explained, depressing the clutch with the PTO engaged does not "disconnect" the PTO. While practicing, I noticed that the shredder appears to carry the tractor forward based on the momentum of the blades. I see where this could cause problems. I assume if I "stand" on the brakes after depressing the clutch (moving forward), something (PTO, diveshaft, shredder)is going to break.

So, experienced tractor operators must be very skillful at disengaging the PTO on the fly.....Or......does the "overrunning cluth" somehow solve this problem? An explanation in "City Boy" terms would be appreciated.

So many questions......

/ Over Running Clutch #2  
The over running clutch will solve your problem. The real problem you're having right now is, the shredder blades momentum keep moving the gears in the PTO. With the clutch on there, it lets the PTO shaft spin without affecting the gears. Made a tremendous difference on my YM1700 and a 60" finish mower.
I use the one that is "quick disconnect" vs the one that installs with a roll pin. With the roll pin type, it's on there unless you want to work about 15-20 mins to take it off.

Jerry

/ Over Running Clutch #3  
Inspector explained it pretty well. It works kind of like a ratchet, i.e., lets the blades free wheel without turning the PTO, and yes, that's what you need.

/ Over Running Clutch
Will the drive shaft on the shredder need to be shortened in order to install the over running clutch? Is there any disadvantage to using the over running clutch.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Rick

/ Over Running Clutch #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Will the drive shaft on the shredder need to be shortened in order to install the over running clutch? )</font>

Maybe; maybe not. Hook it up, slowly raise the implement to see whether you can raise it all the way without the two sections of the drive shaft "bottoming out." Or perhaps better still, raise the implement all the way without the drive shaft being hooked up, then see if you have enough room to hook it up in that position. Just don't get any parts of your anatomy that you're particularly fond of under the implement while it's raised that way.

/ Over Running Clutch #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Or perhaps better still, raise the implement all the way without the drive shaft being hooked up, then see if you have enough room to hook it up in that position. </font> )</font>

That's also good advice to see if the PTO shaft strikes the top of the mower deck when the 3PH is raised all the way up. I've bent a drive shaft when I forgot and raised my lift to the top on my old Ford Jubilee. They don't work very good when they are bowed. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Over Running Clutch
Very often the closest point for the pto is at about mid way. So check that out carefully, not just with the implement down or up. And a good point about checking the clearence from frame members. The ORC changes angles & everything.

Basically if the pto has 4" or more of room without the ORC, then it will probably be ok. If it runs just about all the way in without the ORC, you'll probably be cutting some off.

--->Paul

/ Over Running Clutch #9  
Take note that when your pto is straight it will be the shortest that it will be. Check for end-play when straight. For me personally, I like to have an inch of slack, that is once you have the unit on the tractor, slip the connection on the pto back toward the emplement to check it. Remember that shortening the top link will shorten the distance for the shaft, so be watchful of that, you don't want the shaft to bottom out. Also don't raise or lower the unit past the limits of the universals. They will rattle if you go to far and past the rattle expect the joint to fail. The straighter the shaft when under load the better.