Help with Top and Tilt Hookups

/ Help with Top and Tilt Hookups #1  

Anonymous Poster

Also posted in JD, but wanted to see if anyone else every had a problem with their Top-In-Tilt Hookups that could give advice. I have a 110 TLB that is based around the 4610 and can't for the life of me get these connected to the rear hydraulics. No matter how hard I push, they just won't snap in. Am I missing something? My guess is the system is pressurized or something, but can't find a way to realese it since it is through an electronic divertor. Any secrets or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

/ Help with Top and Tilt Hookups
I have a Massey Ferguson 4225 with dual remotes out back. When I tried to use them the other day, I had the same problem, no matter how hard I pushed, they would not lock in. To check for backpressure, I turned off the tractor, then worked the remote levers to release any internal pressure. My remotes are manual, but if your's are electric, you should still be able to activate them with the tractor engine off and key on. My problem turned out to be that the Pioneer connectors were stuck because they had not been used in a long time. Used some PB Blaster (same as liquid wrench) and an air hose to blow out the excess and contamination and they hooked right up /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also check to see if the problem is with the hoses you are connecting having back pressure due to the way your attachment is sitting now or if it was parked in a way that is pressurizing the hoses.

Either way, please be careful!! pressurized hydraulic fluid can be injected into the skin and according to my Bush Hog manual may cause Gangreen if not removed by a doctor within a few hours./forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Another caution which I'm sure you realize, is that if the pressure in the hoses is supporting your attachment, it's going to move or possibly fall when you release the pressure!!

Block or chain that thing securely before you loosen any hose fittings. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Be safe!

/ Help with Top and Tilt Hookups #3  
If the temperature is higher when you're hooking up than it was when you unhooked, it's certainly possible (not even unusual) to have pressure in the lines of the implement you're trying to connect. Some people slightly loosen the fittings on the ends of the hoses to relieve that pressure, but I was always able to do it by simply putting a drift pin (blunt punch) against the little ball, wrapping a rag around them to catch any fluid, and one sharp rap on the other end of the drift pin with a hammer.

Be sure everything is clean, of course, before you try to connect them.

/ Help with Top and Tilt Hookups #4  
To relieve the pressure on those fittings I simply wrap the male end in a clean rag and push the ball against a solid flat object. One quick push and the pressure is gone and the fluid is cleaned up with the rag.

nailerguy - Thanks for the idea, it worked! I turned the tractor key to on without starting it and set the electronic diverter to the rear remotes and cycled the stick. Went back and was able to connect them up without too much effort.

Thanks Bird and Green_in_MI for the insight on relieving pressure on the implement side. I will remeber that for future use. As it was only the top and tilt cylinders under no load, I didn't think it was them but the tractor.

No problem Abelle. Glad to help when I can. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Happy tractoring!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif