Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5210 + Bobcat CT335

Default Newer tractors and independant PTO are worth the $$$

My dad is 80 years old and lives 150 miles away from me. He has reached the age where he is having trouble working the pedals on his tractors, and his place was getting overgrown this summer. So I went over and mowed a few acres around their house today on the old Ford tractor and bush hog I used when growing up.

It has a transmission driven PTO, no power steering, drum brakes, no front ballast, and a metal pan for a seat. After working for a couple of hours I also found that top of the radiator leaks under pressure, and I had to finish mowing with the cap off to keep the radiator from pressurizing and blowing antifreeze out.

After more than a decade on newer tractors with suspension seats, power steering, and independant pto's, I can honestly say that I believe nostalgia is overrated. I am also giving more consideration to investing in a good trailer so I'll be able to haul my own equipment over to help him out in the future.
    "Contentment makes poor men rich, Discontent makes rich men poor." Benjamin Franklin

"...The conflict between believers and non believers is not about the beliefs..." IslandTractor

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Newer tractors and independant PTO are worth the $$$

I toyed with the idea of getting an old Farmall Cub, or an old Power King, or old Economy tractor for my garden work.

But after seeing posts about how the 'new gas' is wreaking havoc on these older engines, and having my own problems with weedeaters, pushmowers, 4 wheelers, and tillers..........I just gotta ask myself.............is it worth it.

My tractor has power steering, independent PTO, for mid, or rear..........or both at the same time................I know where you are coming from.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    JD4300 HST 4WD

In the 50's Dad had a JD model B. It did not have a PTO or even a starter. To start you had to manually crank the side flywheel.
    Last edited by rekees4300; 09-18-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

You would have to used the old ones to appreciate the features of the new ones. To me the hydro and quick detach loader is the best of all features. Are these new tractors better than the old ones? I think the old ones were built better for longer life.
    ........Shoot this thang! Have mercy this thang is killin' me. Just shoot up here amongst us. One of us has got to have some relief..............
    jerry clowers-a coon huntin story.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5210 + Bobcat CT335

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    You would have to used the old ones to appreciate the features of the new ones. To me the hydro and quick detach loader is the best of all features. Are these new tractors better than the old ones? I think the old ones were built better for longer life.
    Good point, I'll consider the experience as a refresher course that helps me to appreciate what I have.

I can't disagree about longevity, that old tractor has been working for my dad as long as I can remember with only minor problems. In tractor years, my 11 year old deere is just hitting puberty, and my 10 month old Bobcat is still in diapers. I am hoping that each of them will at least hang with me long enough to legally share a drink with me before they leave.
    "Contentment makes poor men rich, Discontent makes rich men poor." Benjamin Franklin

"...The conflict between believers and non believers is not about the beliefs..." IslandTractor

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota 4200

[QUOTE=milkman636;2517686 I am also giving more consideration to investing in a good trailer so I'll be able to haul my own equipment over to help him out in the future.[/QUOTE]

I'm shocked that a TBN member would hatch such a plan. What you should do is just give him your old tractor and then go shopping for you a brand new one!!

art
    Tractor
    all makes and models

In as much as I've driven and used in one application or another just about every style and make of old tractors nothing is like a newer one for getting the work done!

For some reason it's easier to find people to talk about the older ones!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by milkman636 View Post

After more than a decade on newer tractors with suspension seats, power steering, and independant pto's, I can honestly say that I believe nostalgia is overrated. I am also giving more consideration to investing in a good trailer so I'll be able to haul my own equipment over to help him out in the future.
    Independent PTO has been on tractors for 60yrs now..... The only reason I am looking st something newer is to get a good loader/backhoe setup. But newer for me, means 60/70's.