8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
Looking at an early fifties 8n that's not been running for several years. It looks to be in pretty bad shape. It's leaking gear oil out of the PTO. Is this serious? What's involved with fixing it?

TIA

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #2  
If its just the seal, not a biggy. Often the seal is bad because a bearing is bad. Also, the pto shaft surface may need a speedy sleeve to repair it if it has been damaged.

I did this job on a large massey, took 150$ in bearing/seal/speedy sleeve and a press. Not sure on a machine that old, should be cheaper.

Looking at an early fifties 8n that's not been running for several years. It looks to be in pretty bad shape. It's leaking gear oil out of the PTO. Is this serious? What's involved with fixing it?

TIA

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #3  
Should be no big deal at all.

If I remember correctly, there is an oil seal around the PTO shaft, this could be the culpreit and maybe cost $20 at most.

But there is also a housing that holds that oil seal and bolts on with 4 bolts. This is a gasketed surface. Either a tube of RTV, some gasket paper, or a new gasket. Either way, sould be under $10.

BUT, while it is appart, I would recomend replacing the ENTIRE PTO shaft. Those old ones were 1-1/8 6-spline. Current standard is 1-3/8 6 spline. It is a well worthwile upgrade not to have to ever fool around with adapters again. I think that shaft is in the $150 ballpark.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #4  
I would recomend replacing the ENTIRE PTO shaft. Those old ones were 1-1/8 6-spline. Current standard is 1-3/8 6 spline. It is a well worthwile upgrade not to have to ever fool around with adapters again.

I'd say, it depends on what you are going to use it for. I used the adapter to attach my over running clutch. The output of the over running clutch is 1-3/8", so it works with anything.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO
You guys are great..thanks.

The guy wants $500. for it. It was used to farm a small vegitable field in Sullivan County, NY. It needs new front tires and a six volt battery. Not sure if it's worth a half hour drive to look at it.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #6  

TIA

Leaking fluid (actually transhydraulic fluid) out of the pto is not serious or difficult to repair. Make sure there is no leakage from where the pins that support the lift arms at the differential housing are attached.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #7  
If it runs at all, it is well worth $500. Thats almost scrap price. Current scrap price around here + 2500lbs of tractor is about $350 just for scrap. So definatally a steal @ $500.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #8  
The seal is an easy fix, but if you plan to run a bush hog with it, get an over run clutch to attach to the PTO shaft. Without it the rotating force of the hog will push the tractor forward even with the clutch pushed in.

It's a very strange feeling if it happens to you.

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #9  
I had a pto seal leaking once, and all it ended up being was grass wrapped around the shaft inside the seal. A scribe with a hook snagged it and the seal was fine from then on.
David from jax

/ 8n leaking gear fluid out from around the PTO #10  
I have a Question on here about a Pto shaft also. Yours I can answer. A seal will solve your problem. Remove the bolts on the back of the Tractor and the pto shaft will come out by pulling it. Drain the rear end fluid first of course! Your hydralics will lift faster in the cold if replaced with modern trans/hyd fluid. $500 dollars is cheap and in the day I would have bought it over the phone. The side mounted distributor is desirable to have on a 8n.