Oil & Fuel Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #1  

Spencer

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC33D w/R4 Tires, Rear Remote, Hydraulic Toplink, 2 Auxiliary Work Lights, 7308 Loader w/Kasco Uni-Hitch (Quick Tach)
I was just reading this thread over in the KO/O forum. Some people are starting their diesels without any throttle at all and some are using 1/2 throttle. My NH owners manual says to use 1/4 to 1/3 throttle when starting the engine and to pull the throttle fully rearward and turn the key off to shut down.

My engines low idle speed is 1000 rpm's but it runs pretty rough that low. When I go to shut down my engine I slowly lower the throttle down to around 1100 or 1200 rpm's, let it run at that level for a little while and shut the key off. The next time I go to start the tractor I know the throttle is already set to 1100 or 1200 rpm's.

So what procedures to you guys follow to start and shut down your engines?

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #2  
Spence, my B2710 manual said to open the throttle about half way to start it. The tractor was delivered idling at about 1200 rpm, but I adjusted it down to about 850-900 rpm, and I always started it at a dead idle to let the oil start circulating before moving the throttle up. Now I certainly don't claim to know more than Kubota's engineers, so maybe I was wrong, but I just could never see reving an engine up immediately on start up before it had time to build a little oil pressure, so I'm just answering your question as to what I personally did.

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #3  
I'm like Bird, I start mine with no throttle. Then I increase it to about 1500, to warm it up.

Diesel engines aren't like gas engines. They won't warm up at idle speeds. That's why, after a hard run, you need to let it idle for a few minutes.

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #4  
Same as you, but I start and stop with the throttle all the way down.
Mark

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #5  
Interesting... The owner's manual for my John Deere 670 says that I'm to push the throttle lever all the way forward when starting the engine and then to immediately pull the lever back as the engine starts. It warns me not to run the engine at full throttle while cold and it indicates that I should warm up the engine at between 1200 and 1500 rpm.

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My engines low idle speed is 1000 rpm's but it runs pretty rough that low)</font>

Spencer, Is that just when it's cold?

Mine runs smooth at idle. I always start it at idle and let it run a few seconds before throttling up. The only time it's ever run rough is if the temperature is around 20 or less and I didn't have the block heater on, then it starts and bucks for a few seconds before smoothing out.

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #7  
I always start my New Holland TC29D at the idle point. I don't believe in starting an engine and having it rev up right a way. My tractor is in a heated garage all the time so I don't have trouble starting it. When it does sit outside I will pull the throttle up some but back just as soon as it starts. Running the glow plugs for a bit longer will help. Yes it will puff some black smoke but that is normal on a cold diesel engine. I have been around the big diesel engines and they too will start rough and come out of it fairly quick. But if your worried, follow the manufactures instructions and then you can't be going wrong. In your case as mine, New Holland says to have the throttle up some. I just wouldn't leave it there on a really cold engine.

murph

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #8  
When i shut down my NH 1920, I move the throttle back to 1000 rpm or so.. let idle for a small amount of time, then shut it down... I restart it at that same idle speed. watch the oil light to make sure it goes out after a second or so.. then let the engine run for about 30 secs.. then increas it to 1200 or so to warm.

Soundguy

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #9  
Re: Diesel engine starting and shut down procedure

Another way on starting is to have the trottle fully closed, Roll over the engine a few times to get oil circulation and procede with the normal start .

Many industrial sized engines will have a pre and post oil, coolant and turbo cycling system for start and stop.

Egon

/ Diesel engine starting and shut down procedures #10  
To be honest I don't think it really matters. I would like to see any proof that it does. Our tractors are stopped, started, stalled, etc. in all rpm's, throttle positions, conditions, etc. We have never had problems with tractors and all of the tractors I can remember that we've had have all gone thousands of hours before any major work.