Husqvarna lawn tractor vapour locking

/ Husqvarna lawn tractor vapour locking #1  

seecerpent

Tractor
Kubota 2013 MX 5100 DT
I bought a new 48 inch cut Husqvarna lawn tractor (YTH 23- 48) this spring and in the 1st half hour of operation, it started to run rough and quit. I tried a few things and finally after removing the gas cap, it started again. It continues to do this although I replaced the original gas cap with a new one (on warranty).

It has a Briggs and Stratton 23 hp engine and I currently have approximately 50 hours on it. Whenever it starts to run rough, I simply remove the gas cap for 10 seconds and the engine returns to running normally.

Should I drill a hole on the end side of the cap to allow more air into the tank?

Has anyone had similiar problems?

/ Husqvarna lawn tractor vapour locking #2  
That particular series of engine is known for running hot and having issues from backfires to not starting and everything inbetween...don't drill the cap, replace it with a vented "red" cap that has the baffle in it to allow the safe introduction of air into the tank.

/ Husqvarna lawn tractor vapour locking
Thanks Fixemall.

Where do I get a "red cap" - Husqvarna?

/ Husqvarna lawn tractor vapour locking #4  
Be careful on this. In 2011 the law changed, and if you purchased a MY 2011 machine it has new EPA emission requirements. Replacing the cap or drilling the cap violates EPA regulations and may void your warranty. It sounds like you have a pinched vapor line if this is a rear tank model. To check, look under the fender up at the fill neck - there is a vent line coming from the tank just under the fender. If this line is pinched it may be causing the problem. Try unhooking the line temporarily from the tank and see if the problem goes away. If it foes your vent line needs to be replaced; contact the help line in your manual and it is covered by your warranty.